Small Woodland Owners' Group

Huts, shelters etc.

Camp fires, shelters, wild food, making things, children and more....

Postby tracy » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:29 pm

Worth considering what it looks like though! A shipping container might not look great -and if all woodland owners put one in their woods, this would perhaps upset many people and as a result they law might get changed and made more difficult for us.

Not meaning to put a dampener on it, but worth remembering that what each owner does can have an effect on us all at some point. Not sure what the answers are though... allowing nice little wooden sheds would be a start I guess!

tracy

Postby Henrietta » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:34 pm

Tracy, I totally take your point that they look horrible and wasn't suggesting that it is a good idea. It is very difficult if wooden sheds are likely to get vandalised.

Henrietta

Postby jennysmate » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:40 pm

They do look ugly, but could be painted and/or a hedge planted around them. The logistics of getting one into my wood has always stopped me getting one, theyre also a bit big for my needs. A caravan would be ideal, but my neighbours have had theirs broken into and vandalised many times.

jennysmate

Postby tracy » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:01 pm

Yeah, a real pain, isn't it! Vandals make me nuts!

tracy

Postby docsquid » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:34 pm

We have successfully applied for planning permission for a building to store our tractor and other stuff (only granted because an existing concrete base was present from a WWone building). Also successful for a wood-store and wood-drying shed next to an existing derelict goat shed which will subsequently be demolished. Allowed small concrete footings to make the shed safe. Also successful for five ponds in existing woodland and five ponds in new woodland (all ponds have to have planning approval). You do have to pay for it, but provided you can cite a need, the authorities are usually helpful. Having a proper FC woodland management plant, and various grants also helped, but having a site-wide TPO definitely didn't!

We were told you had to have full planning permission to park a caravan on site, and for a container (we looked into that) as they need to be sure you're not planning to live there.

docsquid

Postby Darren » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:46 pm

Docsquid, whydo you need full planning permission for a Caravan? surely they come under the caravan act?

I'm sure planning department try and call our bluff.

Darren

Postby happybonzo » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:24 am

Fence your woodland and put up plenty of signs saying " Tresspassers will be shot - Survivers will be shot again", "Nothing in here worth dying for", "Do not enter if Red Flags are flying - Firing Range" also " Boar Farming in Progress"

These work for me, never seen any Council people or AONB things

happybonzo

Postby jennysmate » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:18 pm

Isn't it illegal to shoot trespassers? Or even threaten to shoot them, however much we would like to. So signs like that would only encourage people into the wood, to see why you don't want them in there.

A fence to keep out people would be impractical, it would have to be 8ft. high and strong enough to withstand a stolen car being driven at it ( this has happened to my gate ).

jennysmate

Postby docsquid » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:47 pm

Darren, it is because our site has a TPO on the whole site. Even a container would need a full planning application. I guess it might be less restrictive if you don't have a TPO.

docsquid

Previous

Return to Woodland Activities