Small Woodland Owners' Group

What have you been doing this month?

Camp fires, shelters, wild food, making things, children and more....

Postby splodger » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:32 am

we have been building revetments recently - and i must say it is starting to look pretty good - i must try and remember the camera next time i go to the woods

splodger

Postby John H » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:09 am

Wed

An epic journey down to the woods via Swansea to collect a mower bought on eBay . I finally arrived in the woods and started my well practiced procedure of airing the caravan. The sun was shining and the caravan was not as cold as I thought it was going to be.

Thurs

The ground was dry so I thought I would light the bonfire that had been growing throughout the winter. I had not collected the diesel so used a small firelighter a some newspaper, I soon had the fire roaring but just as quickly the flames died back and the fire was out.

Fri

Another attempt at lighting the fire, this time I was successful so I got the digger out to push it up. I put some diesel in it only to see that there was fluid leaking from under the diesel tank. I ran and got a container to collect it in and then started to take of the sides off the digger to find where the leak was. I was of course already blaming the mice, last year they had caused no end of damage by chewing their way through various bits of fuel line. It turned out the mice were innocent, there was a small tap for draining the tank, a bit of brash must have got caught and turned the tap on. Relieved I put the sides back on the digger and continued to push up the fire.

Sat

On my drive down to the woods from Essex I had listened to The 39 Steps, in which a mono plane searches for Richard Hannay across the Scottish moors. Well today I was feeling a bit guilty at having such a large bonfire, Sitka produces incredible amounts of smoke. Then a small plane appears flying over the woods, flying low and so slowly I don't know how it was staying in the air. For some reason I kept out of his view. It flew on up the valley but then ten minutes later it reappeared, this time passing directly overhead. Spooky!

John H

Postby tracy » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:32 pm

Ha ha John! You nearly got rescued!

tracy

Postby The Barrowers » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:13 pm

April 2011.

Helped to survey 20 acres of woodlands with archeologists for a large woodland project in East Sussex.

Made sure my 280 plus new hawthorn hedgerow was doing alright (it was).

Mauled some logs for home. Broke some fern fronds that had appeared but the real attack is due to happen and will need to be rolled as it appears. (if you don't want ferns).

Appreciated the spring, some real work to follow.

Should a new "What have you done this month" be started with a Month Heading?

B and T
The Barrowers
The Barrowers

Postby the village idiot » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:13 am

I've been engaged in a mission fraught with peril. I am trying to locate some areas of neglected coppice, so I can track down and approach the owners and propose to them a management plan. I would carry out the work in return for the timber, this would be sold for firewood and charcoal to fund my change to a woodland lifestyle.I am an icecream maker by trade, but the woods have begun to call and I am icreasingly seduced by their soothing song.

I have been scouring maps and the countryside, leaping out of the car every time I spot a stand of two or more trees, and having a naughty but well intentioned peek, (whilst trying to not get shot).

So long as I am shot free and out of custody I'll keep you all informed of my progress.

the village idiot

Previous

Return to Woodland Activities