Small Woodland Owners' Group

What have you been doing this month?

Camp fires, shelters, wild food, making things, children and more....

Postby woodbodger » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:14 pm

Moved logs around in the log shed and started refilling with next years logs, I cut some really lovely Ash logs but can't lift them into my trailer so voted I would give them to someone else.

woodbodger

Postby Steve Medlock » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:45 pm

Started clearing a 30m atlatl range to prepare for World Atlatl Day on 4th June!

Steve Medlock

Postby Rich » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:17 pm

Had to google Atlatl, sounds interesting I wonder if the same restrictions apply to hunting with these as to hunting with a bow and arrow?

[email protected]
www.swog.org.uk
Rich

Postby Exeldama » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:24 am

I am heading off now....... i have no plans other than to camp for the first time since the winter.... its going to be chilly.... but great ..... i might plant a couple of trees and do little else but look at how the world is changing. Its been a tough year for one reason or another so far.... this is one place i can find some peace..... i guess its the same for some other of you woodies...... thats a point i wonder if there is a collective term for people like us... yep its going to be a topic..!!

Exeldama

Postby Exeldama » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:00 am

This weekend i got walloped.... cutting down a huge chestneut with 5 limbs all hung up and leaning about half way over. Bringing it down as ok.. but trimming it , 1 branch was still under tension and i hadnt seen that it was trapped by the bulk of one limb..and whack....... took me off my feet, ouch...ix very sore leg.

Planted 2 lovely home grown oaks now 4 years old, clearedthat whole 5 trunked chestnut in 2 hours. built a brash hedge and counselled my mate who was having a melt down. Other than that i did...nothing.

Exeldama

Postby Steve Medlock » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:13 pm

There aren't many atlatl throwers in this country and it takes a lot of practice to get proficient. I wouldn't like to depend on it for my food! In the US, some states do allow its use for hunting but its a very short range weapon.

I'm with Exeldama on finding peace in the woods. I had a brash fire on Sunday and was sitting on a stump in the rain entirely happy with the world. Roll on retirement!

Steve.

Steve Medlock

Postby greyman » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:23 pm

Spent a bit of Saturday getting stuff ready for the first burn of the year - aiming for Easter week - so that we can get the hearth all dried out to produce reasonable numbers of bags of Charcoal. As we are on Clay the hearth of the Kiln get's a bit soggy so the first burn is usually a bit of a trial and not that good.

Found an empty rams horn snail shell in the stream where it ponds - We found one a couple of years ago and that looked like it had been sitting there for some time but this was bright and in good nick.

Cut some peasticks for a local gardener, sorted through hazel for the kiln through the summer. Not cut much this winter so must plan for the next winters cut.

greyman

Postby Darren » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:56 am

Been planting Hazel. Planted 200 yesterday another 300 to go.

Darren

Postby The Barrowers » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:43 pm

20th March 2011

Stayed overnight to see the "BIG" Moon, really worth staying up to and past 20:00 hours plus as we normally have an early night in the woods as we have a natural alarm clock with the birds, this morning it was 2 wood peckers and lots of normal dawn chorus plus a pheasant joining me on the toilet (or very near anyway).

Checked last weeks plantings and took photos.

Met up with other wood owners to continue surveying the woods relating to LiDAR mapping taken last year, found hollow tracks, wood banks galore, saw pits and charcoal platforms, some going back more than 500 years. Lots to take in with these archeologists. Also blessed with lovely weathers so all in all a happy (woody, thicket or whatever we are called) weekend.

B and T
The Barrowers
The Barrowers

Postby paul » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:51 am

digging a ditch through heavy clay soil, one sticky spadeful after another

paul

PreviousNext

Return to Woodland Activities