Small Woodland Owners' Group

What have you been doing this month?

Camp fires, shelters, wild food, making things, children and more....

Postby Rich » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:04 am

Thanks for that Bernie,

I know Jim has still to allocate a lot of the funding for hedgerows, so anyone wishing to establish new ones should contact him as soon as possible.

http://www.swog.org.uk/news/free-hedgerow-plants/

[email protected]
www.swog.org.uk
Rich

Postby docsquid » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:28 pm

We have finally got all the paperwork through from the Forestry Commission and have been busy with a small team of dedicated volunteers planting our new woodland adjacent to our existing woods with native broadleaved trees, together with making ponds and wildflower meadows. So far 3700 trees have been planted including the hedgerow - only another 1000 to go. Two more weekends and that is it. We are totally exhausted but have changed the landscape! FC also visited and gave approval for us to claim the grant this coming financial year - very helpful!

Can't wait for spring now to see the new trees come to life. The ponds look more like lakes, but already attracting interest from wildlife.

docsquid

Postby tracy » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:44 pm

It's brilliant, we look forward to yearly photo updates!

tracy

Postby The Barrowers » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:59 pm

Decided that the PTES hedgerow we had thought about was best left as a woodland edge/boundary so planted 120 plus hawthorns into the earthbank hedge we had planted March 2009 (100 metres with existing trees, 180 planted then) so making it a bit more filled in. A bit too much "one species" as I have learnt on the PTES day but I already had them and felt like rolling around in mud all day planting and protecting. The originals are doing okay but still attacked by rabitts and deer so lost 15 out of 180 last year. Not a bad % and we always allow a bit for outher species to apppreciate (Deer Rabbits Squirrel Voles etc.)

B and T
The Barrowers
The Barrowers

Postby docsquid » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:45 pm

Hi Tracy - I'm hoping to write something for the newsletter later this year. We need to see the trees spring to life and something other than mud in the ponds first!

docsquid

Postby John H » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:33 pm

The days go so quickly, I know I spend more time now standing about admiring the scenery , I just don't get as much done as I used to. I must be getting old or is it just that time flies when your enjoying your self.

I start at 8.00 and spend the morning with the chainsaw, stopping regularly to have a look around and listen to the birdsong . Where do they all live? Certainly not in the tops of the spruce trees. I must get round to putting up some nest boxes then perhaps they will not nest in my tractor this year.

Accidents happen when tired so after lunch I find something else to do, cutting firewood on the sawbench or using the Woodmizer. It is soon 4 o'clock and time for a cup of tea. Then a bit of pottering about getting chainsaws ready, clearing sawdust and other chores and it is soon getting dark. Another great day in the woods is over.

Saturday

Today I had a visiter coming. Martin wanted to practice his felling techniques on some larger trees.

Martin has his own woodland further north near Rhayader, he spent the day felling and snedding spruce. I hope he felt we had a good day.

Sunday

No chainsawing today so I spent the morning milling boards. Nearly 100 7x1boards on the pile now.

In the afternoon I went up to llanrindod . Fish and chips for supper.

Monday

Last day in the woods today. I was going to collect some diesel of my neighbouring farmer but there was big sign at the end of his drive announcing he was 60 today ,so I decided not to disturb his birthday.

I loaded up my trailer with the oak boards that I had milled on my last visit. Green oak is just so heavy, I thought I ought to drive down to the weigh bridge to make sure I was not over weight. The trailer towed well and I was well under the 2.4tonne the trailer will take.

I then loaded up the forestry trailer with some of the spruce that Martin had felled on Saturday . It was now raining so I decided to go for a walk around the woods.

Tractors in there sheds, smaller tools out of site , the dust brushed of the Woodmizer . I am all ready for an early departure tomorrow morning.

John H

Postby tracy » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:32 am

Goodness John - and that was you not doing much! Sounds like a lot of work ;-)

tracy

Postby Darren » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:34 pm

The last of the trees have been felled and 500 trees ordered. Been putting up fence posts and experimenting using debris netting with rabbit fence along the bottom. Trying out using staples to fix the netting and rabbit fence to the posts.

Darren

Postby Rich » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:55 pm

Also experimenting a bit, not bothered with rabbits too much here, I think there is a mixie. plague going through. But have double protected this year's cant for deer with a 4 or 5 foot wide dead hedge and tenex on the inner side. Didn't burn anything! Am also double gating and thinking of using some kind of solar powered radio to scare them away. Anything else I can do to avoid regrowing a shrubbery!

[email protected]
www.swog.org.uk
Rich

Postby The Barrowers » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:59 pm

4th to 6th March 2011

Spent Friday with archeologists looking around the wood with LIDAR maps as reference (plane flys and photographs the wood through the canopy) were able to identify Lynchetts (field ends), earthbanks and old tracks. Rest of the weekend was planting 45 sweet chestnut saplings to fill in several gaps and planted 3 clumps of hazel (which we have protected against the deer). Stacked felled Sweet Chestnut, cleared brash into dead hedges, mauled logs for home and cleared drainage ruts. Again had lovely weather all weekend and can now see spring on the way.

B and T
The Barrowers
The Barrowers

PreviousNext

Return to Woodland Activities