Small Woodland Owners' Group

What have you been doing this month?

Camp fires, shelters, wild food, making things, children and more....

Postby docsquid » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:19 pm

We know what some of you have been doing, but it would be lovely to know what you have been up to for the newsletter.

We have been doing a whole load of stuff. We have about 3/4 of our coppice cut done for this year now, thanks to help from a load of volunteers over the last two weekends. We have also planted 700 trees to make a new hedgerow across our new field - we managed to get them in during a short window when the ground was unfrozen.

We have been frustrated in our attempts to plant our main new woodland on our field but we expect the decision on or around 20th January regarding our Woodland Creation Grant. We are also hoping for planning permission on the wildlife ponds to come through in the next week or so. Then we have to work hard to get the 3300 trees in and ponds dug before the spring.

Otherwise, we've been pleased to see a pair of snipe in our woods (first ever sighting) and also willow tits visiting our feeder regularly.

docsquid

Postby tracy » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:50 pm

We had butterfly conservation volunteers come along and help us with some coppicing and linking up some rides!

http://rotherguardians.blogspot.com/2011/01/coppicing-volunteer-day-jan-2011.html

tracy

Postby happybonzo » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:49 am

Snarling at the rain while standing hock-deep in mud

happybonzo

Postby Rich » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:59 am

I sawed a few more planks for my bridge, I can now do a circus trick with a wheelbarrow down one of the cross members and onto the finished part of the bridge, saving me at least a 200yard detour!

http://picasaweb.google.com/greencaveman/BridgeBuilding#5561591434123689458

[email protected]
www.swog.org.uk
Rich

Postby John H » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:30 pm

At the beginning of December I was all loaded up and trailer attached ready to set of to the woods. Then I thought I better phone up my friendly farmer to see if they had had any snow in Wales. It turned out 5 inches had fallen overnight, so my trip was postponed.

I finally got down to the woods on 3rd January, water in the caravan was still frozen solid so I had to stay in Llandrindod Wells some 30 miles away.

My first job was to go and see a farmer who had some oak butts that were maybe for sale. I was no match for this wily old farmer, he must have measured the trees 5 times and told me it was worth more for firewood a similar number. I ended up paying him £160 for the three butts, working out at just over $4 per h ft. One of the butts was excellent, the other two were a bit ugly.

Although not frozen the ground was still quite dry so I felled a few spruce and forwarded them to the mill or logpile. I am falling further behind on our 5 year FC plan and it is looking unlikely that I will have a sufficient area cleared to be able to replant in time to claim the grant.

The rain arrived towards the end of the week, so i milled the oak getting some nice 1.25 inch boards. I had forgotten how heavy green oak is.

I loaded up the pick up and trailer with logs to bring back to Essex. I stack them neatly so as to get as many on as possible.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/GrZypkwnmx5cTqpPv-csHQ?feat=directlink

John

John H

Postby jillybean » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:41 pm

Great fun has been had Carving spoons. I find it almost Zen like in its simplicity. No machines, workshop, clamps, glue, screws, noise. I took my tool roll away on a couple of visits over the break and my hosts were all instantly converted. they didn't even mind the piles of shavings. (not on the carpet, mind) I found wood in woodpiles and Hedgerows and even the small children could help sand have a go with a potato peeler. there is no limit to the bounds of a spoon, just ones Imagination. and they make great presents. http://www.flickr.com/photos/swannybean/sets/721

jillybean

Postby tracy » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:08 pm

They are beautiful Jill, nice job! I am sure Sarah will pop a photo or 2 of them in the newsletter!

tracy

Postby docsquid » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:09 am

Jill, those are lovely spoons! Can I put piccies in the newsletter, please?

Well, we're finally starting the planting of our new wood. We've marked out the first stand in the main compartment, and the trees are arriving tomorrow. We hope to get in 650 trees this weekend and a further 900 on each of the subsequent two weekends (when more volunteers are available). We also have a wet woodland area to plant, and some work to be done on the natural regeneration areas, and five ponds to be dug, but at least we can make a start.

At the moment we are marking every spot because we are trying to plant in wavy lines and variable separation (to look natural and provide different habitats) while leaving enough room between rows to get a tractor in between, at least for the first few years. Once the pattern is established it will get easier.

It is so exciting to finally start this project after months of paperwork.

docsquid

Postby tracy » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:46 pm

Sounds great Sarah, looking forward to hearing more about it over the years!

tracy

Postby Solar Wood » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:30 pm

Had a lovely weekend. Doing some late felling of overstood sweet chestnut, about 8 stools of large stems some that just stayed suspended in other trees and needed a lot of extra coersing to fall.

Built a log store for our own wood for home.

Tidied the toilet area so guest do not think we are neanderthals when they visit.

Had good weather with lovely moon just before dawn which helped to encourage us for an early start on the Sunday morning. Still lots to do.

Solar Wood

Next

Return to Woodland Activities