Small Woodland Owners' Group

Which woodlaqnd course for next year ?

Camp fires, shelters, wild food, making things, children and more....

Postby davetb » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:44 am

Hi,

My wife wants to buy me a 'woodland course' as a Christmas present for next year.

I have previously made a shavehorse in Bodfari.

My wife has been on a coppicing course in Sussex and a stool making course with Mike Abbott.

I would prefer to do a 'making' course, meeting like minded people and have something to take away (over 2 - 4 days), than a 'how to manage' course.

At the moment, after much 'googling' I think I'd like to do a 'bow making' course.

There are several on offer, varying from stone age type flat bows to medieval yew longbows.

Has anyone been on a bow course and what did you think?

Are there any other 'amazing' courses that you've recently done and think you could recommend.

I live in Cardiff but don't mind travelling anywhere, for the right course.

Cheers, Dave Howells

davetb

Postby The Barrowers » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:11 pm

Hello

Did a 1 day Hurdle making course with Alan Sage (Sussex Surrey Coppice Group) held at Flimwell.

Good instructor plus came home with a small hurdle which I am using as a temple to remind me when making other and larger ones.

How about a couple of 1 dayers rolled together? Variety is the spice of life.

B and T
The Barrowers
The Barrowers

Postby John Waller » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:40 am

Hi - we run several "making" type courses - baskets is always a popular one (and yes, you do get to take home a basket of your own design!), also hurdles, living willow seats (again you get to take one home, and plant it in your garden), willow garden structures (plant supports, sweet pea frames etc) and a green-wood workshop (a flexible 4 day course using pole lathes/shave horses etc to make your own small stool or similar). All our courses are small - maximum of 8 people on most of them - and set in a really beautiful part of Kent. Sorry for the blatant advertising - couldn't resist! details can be found at www.underwoodsman.co.uk

John Waller

Postby tracy » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:49 am

I will also advertise on Johns behalf, what a nice man he is ;-)

and you can see him here:

http://www.woodlandstv.co.uk/videos/watch/4/willow-weaving

tracy

Postby Steve Medlock » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:31 pm

I went on a bow making course many years ago and have made several flatbows and longbows since.

Working steadily, you can make a pre-history style flatbow over a couple of days but a Yew longbow is really at experinced Bowyer level.

I'm sure you would enjoy making a bow and hopefully all the times you will shoot it afterwards..

Steve.

Steve Medlock

Postby Steve Medlock » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:33 pm

Oh - and it would give you a use for your shave horse!

Steve Medlock

Return to Woodland Activities