Small Woodland Owners' Group

Froe troubles

Camp fires, shelters, wild food, making things, children and more....

Postby rogerspianocat » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:32 pm

I just got my first froe, but am having some trouble using it. The problem is that the handle keeps falling off. When it's not falling off all's well and the splitting's going very nicely, but it's hard when I'm expecting the handle to come loose every time I raise my mallet. Any tips?

rogerspianocat

Postby RichardKing » Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:37 am

Yes I have the same problem. Mine is "Bristol Design" branded one bought from The Sustainability Centre. Formed from a single piece of steel, the eye for the handle is completely the wromg shape, not even round & with a taper in the wrong direction. I should have sent it back, but I thought at first that I had just badly fitted the handle.

I have seen some rather better ones made by Ray Iles & hope to get one.

http://www.oldtools.co.uk/new.tools/ray.iles/ray.iles.pg1.php

RichardKing

Postby jillybean » Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:47 am

a temporary fix is to leave it in a bucket of water until the wood swells. otherwise you may need to make a saw cut down the top and hammer a wedge into place. or even make a new handle !

jillybean

Postby RichardKing » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:35 am

If the froe in question has the same manufacturing faults as mine, then neither of these standard handle fitting methods will not solve the problem.

RichardKing

Postby woodbodger » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:59 am

I have used a froe a lot( retired chairmaker hence the woodbodger) and had similar troubles and even found that drying the handle and putting it on with a wedge glued in was not the longest lasting solution but in a fit of pique one day I glued the dried handle in with araldite , followed that up with a large washer which encompassed the end of the froe fixed with a large screw; it has never moved again.

woodbodger

Postby jillybean » Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:06 pm

Hey Dick, Is that a double negative? and it dont make no sense neither.

jillybean

Postby rogerspianocat » Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:31 pm

Well, it don't make no never mind. Whether it makes sense, I mean. Hold on, is this a forum about our odd language?

Back to the topic - mine's a Ray Iles large froe, so I'm sure everything's the right way round. Glad to hear (in a way) that everyone else has the same problem though - I suspect there's a trick to it. I'll get lots of practice in and see how I go before making any mods. Thanks for all the responses.

rogerspianocat

Postby Steve Medlock » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:19 pm

Mine came from Axminster Tools. I've put a large washer on the end with a coach screw up into the handle which needs nipping up every so often.

Steve.

Steve Medlock

Return to Woodland Activities