Small Woodland Owners' Group

Unfortunate incident

Camp fires, shelters, wild food, making things, children and more....

Postby Nigel L » Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:21 pm

I have a small shed in my wood which I store some forest tools, handtools,- bowsaw etc., camping gaz stove, tea & coffee.

You can imagine my disbelief and anger to find it broken it to. There is a very good article on here covering security which I have read since. Oh well price experience I suppose, at least I always take my strimmer and chainsaw home :)

I thought I would like to remind some of the newer members to take suitable precautions.

Nigel L

Postby The Barrowers » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:03 pm

Sorry to hear your bad news

We leave "things" that have value and would be really peeved if they were interfered with

The value to us is low and the resale would be pennys but still a hassle to replace

In our case the effort of removing odd things as we come and go is not practical and for someone to remove them would be a chore

Vandalism would be terrible and would annoy us more as it is mindless and unnecessary

I hope this is a 1 off for you and you are left alone in the future

Regard B and T

B and T
The Barrowers
The Barrowers

Postby woodbodger » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:55 pm

I did know someone once who had a problem with his chocolate being stolen, he replaced it with a laxative bar and the culprit became obvious. Is there any way of marking your gear to make it traceable as sadly I think once found to be vulnerable thieves oft return, how about a cheap tracer?

woodbodger

Postby wrekin » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:45 pm

Sorry to hear that.

Did they steal your things or just look around to see if there were power tools etc? And how far off a public road were they prepared to go to find the shed? I think that might be helpful for other wood owners.

http://hutters.uk - Woods, huts, cabins, sheds, forestry
wrekin

Postby The Barrowers » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:15 pm

Hello again

Forgot to mention we spray all our tools a bright yellow, easier to find when dropped or left behind in the woods

I hope it would also deter the thieves

B and T

B and T
The Barrowers
The Barrowers

Postby Nigel L » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:03 pm

Thanks for feedback.

Access off a very minor road, to wood is gained via a 5 bar gate to parking area that the 4 woodland owners have a key and no sign of tampering with, but also there is a pedestrian gate! Then a walk down a track about 1/3 mile which is rather overgrown so we are rather amazed the effort they went to.

Shed was locked and door forced I have reported to PC plod but don't expect any response.

The loot comprised of :-

No power tools as I take them home :- loppers, pickaxe,camping gaz stove, kettle, paper plates, work gloves, 2 bottles of lager, brace and bit hammer, screwdrivers sharpening stones, head torch. etc.

Might not sound much but still amounts to £200 plus I expect

All the woodland tools like bow saw, scythe and sickle and my chain saw safety clothing and the tent but that weighs 22kg :) etc were left

Nigel L

Postby davetb » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:16 pm

Sorry to hear about the loss. If anyone leaves petrol in the woods, don't forget to paint 'Diesel only' on the container. This was obtained from a Land Rover forum ( and always makes me smile ). My Land Rover keys are on a 'Volvo' keyring - the local garage have told me they 'wouldn't want to mess with my mind', when I told them it was a security feature. Cheers, Dave

davetb

Postby MartinD » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:39 pm

I'm amazed at what people will get up to. A couple of years ago I was using a really old plastic bin (pre-wheelie) to collect bits of rhododendron. Finishing for the night, I took all my tools back, but stuffed the bin in a pile of rhodie brash. A couple of days later I went back into the woods - but the bin was gone. Why? A few months ago, clearing some more rhodie, we found some very old (1950s, we thought), lemonade and coke bottles. I left them against a tree. A week later, each bottle had been smashed into tiny pieces by being flung against different trees. It took me half a day to pick up as many pieces as I could see, but I can imagine badgers and foxes with sore feet. My tree surgeon left a sharpening kit on a tree stump last year. He phoned me the next day, and I looked, but it was gone.

The wood is at the back of my house, and we never see anyone in there - where do they come from?

MartinD

Postby RichardKing » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:56 am

In my experience it is usually kids.

Now that their summer hollidays are over it might quieten down.

RichardKing

Postby splodger » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:04 pm

we have had problems with break-ins and vandalism in the past - but that was almost certainly due to the activities of the neighbouring plot

as that has not been "in use" for a few years - we have not had that many problems

one of the most annoying things has been damage to very expensive locks - and once they have managed to get inside the shed - have found nothing worth nicking - so just trashed it anyway

we have had chickens stolen too - and that was very upsetting

we don't keep anything of high value on site anymore

splodger

Next

Return to Woodland Activities