Small Woodland Owners' Group

Chain saw mill

Camp fires, shelters, wild food, making things, children and more....

Postby woodbodger » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:10 pm

I know some of you out there have experience of these things. I have just purchased a logosol timberjig It seems very good but slow if I was paying myself minimum wage I would be in a deficit position. So okay I am using a very cheap and nasty Chineese 24 inch saw with a standard chain, but it is going vroom so it is doing something. The question is would the purchase of a sexy new stihl 660 and a ripping chain be worthwhile or would I just be able to ponder the expense of it all as I wait for it to chew its way through the wood. My last attempt has been on some fresh felled Alder only about 9 inches cut. I have a big chunk of Ash to cut which is more like 20" and I am not sure whether there will be enough daylight hours between now and Christmas!

woodbodger

Postby Rich » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:24 pm

Hi Woodbodger,

I would try a ripping chain before you splash out. I think these are basically the same as a cross cutting chain, but sharpened at 10 degrees, instead of 35 or whatever. I have the same timber jig, but haven't tried it out yet, I was told when I bought it thought that a ripping chain more or less essential and keep it well maintained! It' a long time to Christmas!

Rich

[email protected]
www.swog.org.uk
Rich

Postby RichardKing » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:11 pm

Ripping chains have alternate vertical cutters, followed by a clearing cutter and are considerably more efficient than crosscut chains.

But never attempt to use a ripping chain for crosscutting.

RichardKing

Postby DaveTaz » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:43 am

I have a logosol setup (m7)

The ms660 is immensly powerful (91cc) and will probably be far quicker than your current saw, I guess that's why logosol recommend them. A bit pricey but one of if not the best saws in the world.

Ripping chains are basically the same as x-cut chains but filed down at 10 degrees

I bought 4 rip and 2 x-cut chains from logosol (all stihl chains) and they are exactly the same bar the sharpening angle

Richard - not sure why you are saying never attempt to use a ripping chain for x-cutting, in my experience they work but not as well!. I have felled pine and milled it on the spot using same chain and no problems.

DaveTaz

Postby carlight » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:13 pm

hi

in reality ,it's all down to how well (as in correctly)one sharpens the chain ,and knowing when to take the rakers down a bit.

Just to (hopefully !)clear up the chain-type confusion , think it's fair to say that there are 3 types being discussed ;

1) as Richard describes ,probably the business ,but never used them myself .possible increased risk of kickback ,thus the recommendation to not use for x-cutting

2), and 3)- as Davetaz describes .

would agree with dave's last comment too ,green softwoods don't put up much of a fight .whole new ball game re seasoned oak/chestnut !(/ash !)

ps -planking 9 inch green alder ,one should be progressing at a fair walking pace ,at the very least , even with a £90 machine mart saw .........................as long as the chain is cared for !

carlight

Postby RichardKing » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:21 pm

DaveTaz

I clearly described a different type of milling chain

Its available from

www.alaskanmill.co.uk

RichardKing

Postby woodbodger » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:40 pm

Thanks for the help, I have ordered an electric sharpener so that I can get those angles right and see what the improvement is, as I see it there is no need at this moment to buy a pucker ripping chain just sharpen the old one. It is not that I am mean ( I am) but This saw is going as soon as I can afford a decent stihl.

woodbodger

Postby Darren » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:46 pm

I was told by a chainsaw dealer those electric sharpners are a waste of money. As they don't sharpen as good by hand.

Darren

Postby adrian rossant » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:56 pm

Hi there

On the subject of chain sharpening, have you considered an Oregon filing guide http://www.willisandgrabham.co.uk/gardenequipment.php?gardensafety=1272.

I have used one of these for many years-they work perfectly,are easy to set-up and do a really good job.

adrian rossant

Postby woodbodger » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:21 pm

Yes Adrian I think you are right, I have used the dremel type sharpener for years but there is an issue with the stone wearing down and so no longer being the correct diameter, examining the previous mentioned chain on my cheapo saw with a magnifying glass reveals that it had not been sharpened right into the hard edge of the blade, I shall keep this sharpener for touching up in the wood and hopefully this new disc sharpener, similar to those used by the dealers who charge lots of money to sharpen saws will do the business: I hope to report in a couple of days that I have sharpened to Alaskan mill spec and that the saw is going through the wood as though it was driven by Stirling moss not Eddy the Eagle.

woodbodger

Next

Return to Woodland Activities