Small Woodland Owners' Group

Tetanus jab or not?

Camp fires, shelters, wild food, making things, children and more....

Postby Dennis » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:46 am

Checked this with my GP yesterday. He said that medics now consider that anyone who has had the full course of tetanus jabs is protected indefinitely, with this exception: if someone has a deep wound which is not open to oxygen (e.g. because it has been stitched) then a booster jab is required. It was not necessary to have a booster jab in the ordinary course of things just because one has started working in the woods and would be picking up scratches and cuts.

To repeat: only wounds not open to oxygen require a booster jab.

Dennis

Postby DaveTaz » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:38 pm

Same advice was given to me a few weeks ago during a visit to A&E

DaveTaz

Postby Exeldama » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:34 pm

I have to have mine renewed for work. Plus any animal bites require one regardless..safe than sorry. that said i have rabies to.

Exeldama

Postby Catweazle » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:57 pm

"that said i have rabies to."

I should get that looked at, it can be a nuisance ;-)

Catweazle

Postby greyman » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:14 pm

The frothing at the mouth is a real nuisance and all that dribble makes a mess of your toggs! The snapping at passers by won't endear you to anyone - but it might keep the tresspasers away after you've snarled at them a few times. N-O-W-T-H-E-R-E-S-A-N-I-D-E-A!! Bit of shaving foam or whipped egg white liberaly slapped around yer gob and if you gnash yer teef at 'em and wail a bit that'd do the trick eh?

Greyman

greyman

Postby docsquid » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:58 am

The advice on tetanus you got is correct, and you don't need a booster just because you might get scratches and cuts working in the wood. Boosters will be given for deep cuts, animal bites and major trauma e.g. open fractures. The guidance was changed quite a long time ago (about 10 or more years).

docsquid

Return to Woodland Activities