Small Woodland Owners' Group

World Record Tree Planting Event - using free trees!

Camp fires, shelters, wild food, making things, children and more....

Postby Kentish Man » Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:25 pm

Fantastic - well done jillybean! I could only plant 1 hawthorn in the corner at the bottom of our communal garden as I'm still looking for a wood / land, so 117 is a an absolutely brilliant effort! I had a panic getting the "proof" - I realised my camera time was an hour out and then the battery started running out, so I only just managed to take the picture in the last few seconds before it ran out, James Bond style!

Kentish Man

Postby jillybean » Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:28 pm

I went down and mulched them this afternoon, we planted them as a hedge, and its really much bigger than i thought yesterday. Ive gone all broody over them now.

jillybean

Postby Darren » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:35 pm

We had help from the forest school who rent our woods. We planted 54 trees and reused the tree shelters and cut them in half so we had enough. It's inside the deer fence so the tube will keep the rabbits off. Every time we made a slit in the ground it quickly filled with water, more like aqua tree planting. Everyone had a good time and went home feeling they had achieved something.

Darren

Postby Kentish Man » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:53 pm

Another sterling effort - well done Darren - 54 trees is another great success.

I wonder when we get to find out if we broke the World Record? I guess it will be a short while after the 12th December. I think they ought to do it every year!

Kentish Man

Postby tracy » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:48 am

You can see a photo of Jill and her team on the website:

http://www.swog.org.uk/events/tree-o-clock/

tracy

Postby docsquid » Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:58 pm

Well, we didn't manage to plant during the hour, as I also teach a nordic walking class on Saturday mornings. But we did manage to plant 8 trees in the afternoon to extend our orchard area.

Unfortunately all the grant applications weren't in place for us to do the major planting of new coppice, so couldn't do the 350 trees we were hoping to do. We helped on Sunday in the local park planting 400 trees to make a new hedge to make up for it!

docsquid

Previous

Return to Woodland Activities