Small Woodland Owners' Group

World Record Tree Planting Event - using free trees!

Camp fires, shelters, wild food, making things, children and more....

Postby Kentish Man » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:05 am

I'm not sure if this has been posted yet, but the BBC are trying to break a world record by asking the public to plant the most amount of trees in one hour on Saturday 5th December.

They are giving away FREE TREES to those who want to take part in the record attempt.

All you need to do is plant the tree between 11am-12pm on 5th December and take a picture of the planting. The picture needs to be sent to [email protected] by Fri 11th December with the address the tree was planted.

Most good garden centres have now been stocked with a supply of FREE TREES - include Field maple, Silver Birch, Hazel, Hawthorn, Wild Cherry, Rowan - Mountain Ash.

Read all about it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/breathingplaces/treeoclock/ and locate your local garden centre to get your free trees here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/breathingplaces/treeoclock/tree_giveaways/

Hope you can all take part in some way!

Kentish Man

Postby jillybean » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:16 pm

Im On the Case! picking up 25 saplings on Saturday and planting them at Treedom the 5th of Dec if anyone wants to come and help, be great to meet you- we will have a bonfire too.

jillybean

Postby Kentish Man » Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:05 pm

Remember that they are on a first come first served basis - so get in quick to avoid disappointment!

Also - remember to set your date and time on your digital camera to ensure the trees count towards the record - good luck everyone : )

Kentish Man

Postby Darren » Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:12 pm

Unfortuntely it's one tree per household. I'm going to plant 30. with the forest school.

Darren

Postby Kentish Man » Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:22 pm

If the trees are not all taken, they will continue to give them out until they are all gone. In Homebase today they are there to take on your way out, although it seems that there's nobody there to stop you from taking more than one. I'm not sure whether that's a good thing or a bad thing!

Kentish Man

Postby Darren » Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:37 pm

Just been on the phone to Burrow nursery http://www.ewburrownursery.co.uk/contact.php which are giving away free trees. As I wanted 50 for tree o'clock they have a deal on which worked out roughly about 20% off.

Darren

Postby Kentish Man » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:15 pm

Anyone else getting involved? Less than a week to go now to pick up your FREE TREES!

Kentish Man

Postby Kentish Man » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:28 am

Wakey wakey rise and shine - 11am today Saturday 5th December - don't forget to start your planting and take your picture - there's new info on the BBC site today for those of you planning to plant more than 5 trees:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/breathingplaces/treeoclock/

Good luck to those taking part!

Kentish Man

Postby jillybean » Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:20 pm

Well what a great day that was. I managed to go a garden centre at the last minute and pursade them to hand over the unwanted trees We Then had more than 25, so had to ask an upstanding member of the community to come and adjucate. Planted 117 in all, including several locally grown saplings from Allan Rogers the hedgelayer. 10 people turned up to plant, and some more relaxed people came later. Id like to thank you all for your imput, It would have been a real chore on my own. We even had the cops out, thinking we were having a Rave!

jillybean

Postby tracy » Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:30 am

Sounds brilliant Jillybean! You have any photos for us?

Remember, don't send me huge ones if you do - 500 pixels or so...!

tracy

Next

Return to Woodland Activities