Small Woodland Owners' Group

Commercial viability of small woodlands

Camp fires, shelters, wild food, making things, children and more....

Postby Exeldama » Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:23 pm

Hi. I am in same position as you. Im a single father working for a charity so im neither rich nor likely to be. That said i was and am confident that the wood i have purchased will grow in value . So at worst you can always liquidate your asset.

I did loads of research for months to be sure and tracked values for 15 years.... land rarely falls in value uless you do something stupid like buy a toxic waste dump which leaks.

Its a bit like buying an Antique that you want to sell on.. buy something you like , then if it doesnt sell you have something you like.

You know your finances, just do the sums, make sure repayments are affordable and go for it.

When your dead no-one cares what your worth (except greedy kids). So the value comes with all the things you expressed anything else is a bonus. Each time you enjoy it, smile, laugh and have fun you are getting repayment on your loan.

Good luck.

Exeldama

Postby tracy » Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:56 pm

Hi Leigh

A bow saw and a pair of loppers or billhook - that is all you need, for a coppice woodland anyway! Conifer is a slower return, and harder to manage. In my opinion - someone else might think differently.

There are so many ways to manage a woodland, and you don't need to spend much money at all. You might want to though - we all keep finding great new toys to play with in the woods ;-)

I think that if you have a wood burner in your house and you chop yourself some firewood and cut back your heating bills you will get a great return for your woodland!

As Ex says above - if you can afford repayments (and I would add with some money spare for emergencies) go for it! It is great fun. It is very difficult to make the woodland commercially viable - unless you can make amazing things from the wood. I would suggest you get one you can afford and that you could cope with managing yourself. If you have to pay someone else to do the work, then you are looking at more costs.

Hope these thoughts help. Bit muddled cos I am rather sleepy. Perhaps I will try to be more coherent tomorrow?!

tracy

Postby Steve Medlock » Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:04 pm

I went halves with a friend to buy my wood. I think you have to have a very good friend to do this though. I added the cost to my mortgage and am paying for it over 10 years. This is year 4 however and the time seems to fly by.

Buying a wood was the best purchase that I've ever made. Whatever reasons you have for buying woodland, your interests soon broaden and you discover and learn so much more from your plot.

The running costs are whatever you want them to be!

Steve.

Steve Medlock

Postby MartinD » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:00 pm

In terms of hidden costs, you need to consider :

public liability insurance (less than £150 pa, unless you are buying a forest rather than a wood)

employee liability insurance (if you are going to have 'helpers', paid or unpaid, in the wood. The definition of an employee seems to be anyone acting under your direction - approx a further £300)

general maintenance ( a boundary with a field may need a fence to keep the cows / sheep out of your wood - fencing may cost only £4 per metre, but a field boundary can be many metres. A wind-blown tree which is resting on another tree or trees can be difficult and dangerous to fell - a tree surgeon may be an expensive luxury - some charge £300 per day or more)

pests (getting rid of pesky rabbits or squirrels may be free if you know a man with a gun, but deer can cost more in terms of fencing to keep out)

safety inspections (you need to evidence that you have given due diligence to the needs of woodland visitors, be they walking a public right of way through your woods, or trespassing - could cost a few hundred pounds per year, depending on the size of the woodland. You will need someone qualified and insured to evidence the inspection - your insurers may not pay up if you have ignored obvious dangers)

obvious costs

tools - chainsaws, together with all the safety gear, loppers, bowsaws, axe etc

travel to and from the wood on a regular basis

income

depends on what you have, and whether there is any protection on the trees, (mainly, but not exclusively, Tree Protection Orders, and SSSI designation). In any case, any income you can generate will be modest - more like pocket money than a proper job! If you want to fell more than 5 cubic metres in a calendar quarter, you will need a felling licence from the Forestry Commission - that's about one mature tree

grants

the main source of grant income is from the Forestry Commission Woodland Improvement Grant. If you intend to open your woods for the public benefit, grants can run at 80% of costs, but if you want to keep it private you are limited to biodiversity, which except for a few areas of the country is limited to 50%

If the woodland is considered to be an asset, (perhaps based on ASNW status, or SSSI), then grants can be quite generous. I am getting a WIG on 5 acres of woodland for clearing rhododendron, thinning sycamore, clearing some 'glades', replacing a stock proof fence, replanting with native stock etc - I have to 'spend' approx £10,000 to get £5,000 back in grants, but I can do quite a lot of the work myself, and have found a guy who can do much of the work at less than the FC 'standard costs'. I will have to spend some money, but at the moment I believe that my costs will be neutral at the end of the 5 year period of the grant. Again, depending where you are in the country, your WIG, or parts of it, could be based on the new 'woodland birds' programme, which is funded at 80%

summary

buy it, and enjoy it. Based on my experience, it is the best investment I have ever made, certainly in terms of the feel good factor. I suspect that many people here will agree.

MartinD

Postby SilvaEnergy » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:42 pm

Hello Leigh

Where abouts are you planning to buy a woodland? If it's in close proximity to maidstone, kent and it's coppicable I would be able to offer you some money for the standing wood.

Kind regards

Pete

SilvaEnergy

Postby The Barrowers » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:47 pm

Hello

I would go for the relaxation, recreation, peace of mind element, conservation etc but what about the money. Its hard work to really make money. Grants, yes, I really love paperwork that why I go to the wood, not to do it. I believe most people who are buying compartments of woods are not doing it for money especially as the acreage is Small as in the name of the Group (SWOG) Anyway money, the old expression is "a shroud has no pockets" so hay ho its only money and good healthy fun. If you have enough money to invest you are probably better off than most. Enjoy your woods, share it with favoured people as a work of love.

B and T
The Barrowers
The Barrowers

Postby Exeldama » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:28 pm

Leigh...i live in Cambridgshire to and have bought in sussex. Any further would be problem to manage /enjoy enough. Let me know if you want to have a chat about any pitfalls i have found so far..etc etc. [email protected]

Exeldama

Return to Woodland Activities