Small Woodland Owners' Group

September - What I have done in this month

Camp fires, shelters, wild food, making things, children and more....

Postby MartreCycle » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:40 am

An opportunity to share information about the work/tasks/activities done in your woodland during the first month of Autumn.

Can be big projects, minor works, laborious, tedious,relaxing, mundane, exciting, interesting etc. The item does not have be original and can be the same as other activities done in any other month.

The aim of this months thread is to give folk an idea of what owning a wood involves - glamourous and not so glamourous.

Try and keep items short and informative - Items warranting more discussion can be picked up as a separate 'thread'.

MartreCycle

Postby Exeldama » Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:26 pm

Felled my first bigtree, today. Measured it at 60 feet. Only had a handsaw so took warmed me up a bit.

Also took two teenagers camping and cooked bacon and cheese together.

My newly dug pond is starting to fill to, just rainwater but its staying there....2 years to fill i epect.

Exeldama

Postby tracy » Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:38 pm

Put some string around the trees we are not felling this winter (so we can see them once the leaves are off) and went metal detecting! Found a beer can that expired in 1995! Real archaeology ;-)

tracy

Postby docsquid » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:12 pm

Went on Phil's coppicing course! Now need to put it all into action. Another major glut of form-filling awaits for this privilege as our wood has an entire site TPO.

docsquid

Postby tracy » Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:25 pm

Not done much in our wood this month. Delivering firewood, visiting friends. I am going to try to use milk containers to protect my baby oaks over the winter, but not put them in yet. Will let you know how it goes! I read the suggestion on the letters page of Living Woods magazine.

tracy

Postby docsquid » Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:53 pm

We're very busy getting work done before the winter sets in and the ground gets too boggy to drive the tractor round. Bramble and scrub clearance, completing the drainage work we started last winter, building proper all-weather tracks, marking species of trees in the area to be coppiced, preparing for the September Open Day...lots to do!

docsquid

Postby jillybean » Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:59 pm

Unfortunately our Trailer was stolen this month, so all thoughts have gone to security, where they had been on wildlife and other feelgood subjects.

I bought a shavehorse at the Weald woodfair, knowing that i wouln never get round to making one, not that i am lazy you understand, but waiting very patiently for the Forestry commission to come and coppice my TPO wood so i might finially be able to build something. they said they would organise it before March 2010 which made the shavehorse seem a good quick fix.In the light of the trailer theft, Im now waiting to see if its still there every morning. (the Shavehorse, not the Wood,) Still Clearing Pathways, mushroom hunting, and I have spent a lot of time and effort getting my firearms certificate Which now means the squirrels had better find some other Trees to kill.Its literally raining acorns, and beginning to smell of Autumn I Am thinking of dead hedging the gaps im my acient Hedge, which is nowadays more a row of trees. Blackberry crumble for weeks now, nice they have some use. I might transplant them all to the hedge instead of burning them.

jillybean

Postby MartreCycle » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:52 am

the jungle of brambles + natural birch regen. has died back a bit - enough to allow me to cut down tress of poor form / letting in more light for next season

MartreCycle

Postby tracy » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:32 pm

Moved a LOT of firewood to our house to burn in our new woodstove!

this thread started a year ago!

tracy

Return to Woodland Activities