Small Woodland Owners' Group

Safety in woods

Camp fires, shelters, wild food, making things, children and more....

Postby tracy » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:34 am

One of our SWOG members has just had a frightening and painful encounter with the mix of fire and petrol. I am pleased to say that he is now ok and recovering, but he did want to mention what they learnt from the experience. Isolation in woods! Thankfully J had his wife with him to help, but they had to rely on a nearby house owner to drive them to hospital.

We are often very isolated in our woods and it is so important that people know where we are and when. Try not to work alone and if you must be there on your own, it is advisable that you tell someone where you are and arrange some kind of calling in system. Many of us do not have mobile phone reception and this must be taken in to account.

Please also work out how emergency vehicles might access the land and get to where you are.

It is important to have a large amount of water available near the fire (which helped J a lot!) and a good first aid kit. Near you, not locked in the car or in storage.

Talk about what you will do if... especially if children are around. Do your kids know what to do if something happens to you?

Any other thoughts?

Get well soon J!

tracy

Postby greyman » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:25 am

Oops! Elf 'n' Safety, nuffing but trouble and spoilsports ;~)

greyman

Postby The Sawyer » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:46 pm

You Have a very good point Tracy. at least in this age of mobile technology we are a bit better off but as you say how are the emergency services going to get to you. We work in 350 acres of woodland on the southdowns with limited access for road vehicles we always make a point of working as a pair but I know other owners in the woods that don't.

Elf and safety may be a pain but in the forestry industry, which is the 2nd most dangerous to work in, in the UK, it might just save your life.

regards kester

The Sawyer

Postby Exeldama » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:46 pm

Im stuck in that i cant get a phone signal at all....... i have no choice but to work alone. i dont have a partner to help and my mates think im bonkers for buying a wood so not about to help much either (too far away as well).... got to be extra careful or else im toast, so to speak.

Then again they are the risks of being alive and doing things... and im happy with that, if i snuff it im insured so to quote my young son.."how much do we get dad".

Exeldama

Postby The Sawyer » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:19 pm

If you cant get a phone signal you could try CB although you get a lot of rubbish in there it is a good back up if all goes wrong.

ttfn kester

The Sawyer

Return to Woodland Activities