Small Woodland Owners' Group

Pond-bog clearing & the dangers involved

Camp fires, shelters, wild food, making things, children and more....

Postby steve rollnick » Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:27 am

I wonder whether anyone can advise about this?

We have a small bog in our Mid-Wales wood, apparently 3-5 ft deep, without a visible water source that sits in a disused quarry, with a mound running down one side of it (perhaps an old mine shaft?). The water level rises and falls with the rainfall. We have opened up this area to the light. We removed part of an old willow that was slunk across the pond and creeping across the quarry itself. The impact on insects and birds was almost immediate. The area around the bog is buzzing. Plenty tadpoles (no newts sighted).

Despite quite a lot of contemplation about whether to step inside this bog and clear out some of the decades of leaf deposit that has built up within it, we are thinking of having a go, assuming this might provide the habitat with a more stable water supply.

If you feel strongly that we should NOT do this, we'd be interested to know why?

Otherwise, besides tasking good care to rope up etc, what about the gasses that I have already smelled? Are they dangerous? Should one wear a mask, and if so, what kind?

Thanks.

Steve

steve rollnick

Postby greyman » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:47 am

Steve,

one of the main constituants of 'marsh' or 'bog' gases is Methane: also known as 'fire damp' in mines I believe. On it's own you can't smell it and it is lighter than air but in your case it will be mixed in with other gases and nodoubt does have a smell! You don't say how big the area is that your bog covers but if air movement is low any work on the bog will release the gas('s) in a higher concentration. Recommended RPE(Respiratory Protection Equipment) for methane is a 'supplied air' full face mask something similar to a Firemans breathing apparatus I think. I guess you don't want to pod out to purchase this sort of stuff so I wonder if getting in touch with any organisations that do conservation work on bogland might lead you to a solution (not to say that you won't have thought of this already!). I've not managed to find any concrete advice on the dangers posed from gas released when working on bogs etc. I would hazard the guess that working only with others, for short periods, wearing a rescue harness, only working in a good breeze or windy conditions. You might need to take advise on when the most gas could be given off - when the bog is at it's wettest or 'dryer' as this could also help to plan the timing of the work (I won't make any jokes about Wales and rain!). Hark at me! Right little 'spert' all of a sardine! Just my thoughts though.

Hopefully others will be able to give more advise/information as I am no expert by any stretch of the imagination.

Greyman

greyman

Postby tracy » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:11 am

I have emailed all my contacts in Wales, and hope that one of them will have some thoughts! Thanks Greyman for getting us started!

tracy

Postby James M » Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:09 pm

I remember when Bear Grylls jumped into that bog in Scotland. You saw a ton of methane being released as he hit the bottom and stirred it up, thats where it is stored. It almost choked him. Just make sure you're not smoking a fag when you get started.

James M

Postby MartreCycle » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:50 pm

Hello 'steve rollnick' - did you get stuck into your bog after your initial enquiries above ?

MartreCycle

Postby bethinpembs » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:25 am

I’m not sure if you are aware of the importance of bogs as carbon sinks and the impact releasing methane has on climate change, as it’s a greenhouse gas. I know your bog is small but it may be more valuable keeping it as a bog than disturbing it.

bethinpembs

Postby steve rollnick » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:24 am

Dear Greyman, Tracey, James and others,

Thanks for your ideas, advice and enquiries about progress. No progress, just thinking. I wont do this without advice like that offered by the (young) greyman.

James, I dont know who Bear Grylls is, but like many of you, he sure has a wild name (I can see him roaring into a bog and clearing it with one hand).

Seriously though, Bethin in Pembrokeshire (if that's right) has wondered what we have. However we do it and do it safely, that's the HOW question; like so many things we might change, there's the WHY question. This bog is really small, and it sits in a quarry, and it looks like a filled in mine shaft, about 20ft by 15ft. Our basic assumption is that clearing MIGHT help it to retain a little more water, and that water will attract life. We have a tool shed some 50ft above the bog, above the quarry it sits in, and we even thought of running water off its roof into a butt and allowing the butt to drip feed the bog.......

Will clearing the bog help it retain water?

Will it attract more like around it?

Thanks,

Steve

steve rollnick

Postby MartreCycle » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:20 am

Hi Steve,

I have had some experience of working on boggy ground with a 4 ton (ish) mini digger.

The solution was to fell plenty of small tree - 2 inch to 5 inch diameter and use them as a mat- so that the tracks were running on the tree logs.

Cut the logs to be about 2 foot wider than the tracks - and lay them down crossways-

once the digger has moved over a section - take the logs from the back to the front

- A bit like moving the stones for the Eygption pyramids !!

On the very boggy bits - lay a few logs length ways then put the crossways on top - spreads the load -

Its hard work - needs a 'cool' head and several folk - to drive digger and move logs-

plus some skill in keeping the digger on the logs and not stopping any errant logs going up under the digger and causing damage.

To add to the pressure/stress of the situation - getting a digger stuck should be avoided at all costs - hence work slowly - low revs.

If inspired by this advice - please let us know how you get on

MartreCycle

Postby Exeldama » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:25 pm

Watch yourself there is also hydrogen sulphide (rotten eggs) which is dodgy and hydrogen cyanide which can overcome you very quickly. Never work alone and if working in the pit ensure you have a saftey line attached with which you can be hauled at straight away. Any suggestion of gas wear a mask.

Exeldama

Return to Woodland Activities