Small Woodland Owners' Group

July - What I have done in this month

Camp fires, shelters, wild food, making things, children and more....

Postby MartreCycle » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:15 am

An opportunity to share information about the work/tasks/activities done in your wood.

Can be big projects, minor works, laborious, relaxing, mundane etc. Does not have be original and can be the same as other activities done in any other month.

Aim - to give folk an idea of what owning a wood involves - glamourous and not so glamourous.

Try and keep items short and informative - Items warranting more discussion can be picked up as a separate 'thread'.

MartreCycle

Postby RichardKing » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:19 pm

Young birds should have fledged by now so I have returned to the coppice focusing on eradicating the Sycamore as required by my FC grant.

Used the brushcutter on dense Sycamore scrub that was up to two metres high. The brushcutter will cut stems up to an inch or so, but even thicker ones can be ringbarked in seconds.

Felled some larger Sycamore with stems up to about 8 inches, loaded them up on the trailer & hauled them back.

Stumps & regrowth on the Sycamore will be treated with Roundup as specified by the FC.

RichardKing

Postby Darren » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:23 pm

This month I will be mostly doing away with a few squirrels and filling in a few ruts.

Darren

Postby greyman » Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:44 pm

And I will finally have finished making/hacking out my truck to move the lengths off last winters coppice. I will then flail about with my chain saw and axe to fit it in to my kiln and do another fire as we've now got down to the last 6 or so bags from the last burn. I might even invest in an air rifle to cause a nuisance to the burgeoning squiggel population. I will also consider judicious use of long pokey sticks on the two drays that we have noticed in the wood this season.

Greyman

greyman

Postby James M » Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:34 pm

I'll be feeding the midges and what blood they leave will be claimed by the spruce doing its cactus thing. I'll be rolling logs down hill to squash bracken. I'll be photographing the rut, laying down some dead wood, avoiding cattle, cutting a path through some gorse and starting a collection of stones.

James M

Postby greyman » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:21 pm

You bin Googlin' too James?

greyman

Postby James M » Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:30 am

It's amazing what you can find out, about trees, and other interesting stuff.

James M

Postby greyman » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:47 am

Trees I'll give you - but interesting, not so sure about that. How about weird?

greyman

Postby tracy » Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:30 pm

We just been to the lovely wood. Put more brash around some baby oaks. Saw an adder! Brilliant. All this sneaking around looking for one and he slithered right past us while we were eating lunch. Lovely!

tracy

Postby James M » Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:55 pm

I'd have been standing on my tip toes screaming like a little girl waving my hands around! Snakes are the one thing that give me the willies.

James M

Next

Return to Woodland Activities