Small Woodland Owners' Group

Fire pits

Camp fires, shelters, wild food, making things, children and more....

Postby Stephen1 » Tue May 19, 2009 9:42 pm

??????????!

Stephen1

Postby Exeldama » Tue May 19, 2009 9:55 pm

Ta ta ta... i know its not bright to light atop peat..apparently fires can burn below ground for months before resurfacing.

I have two locations decided upon already, both in deciduous areas and they will be permannent structures ..where the faires can dance.....and my buddies share a wee dram. Bat watching will go down well to.

Oh taht reminds me ..thanks Tracy for the literarture you sent me, good stuff..ideas forming again.

Exeldama

Postby RichardKing » Wed May 20, 2009 6:29 am

Rings of fire.

Circles of death.

We are are all doomed.

RichardKing

Postby Keith Williams » Wed May 20, 2009 8:48 am

Advice on burning brash etc. http://www.forestresearch.gov.uk/pdf/fctn4.pdf/$FILE/fctn4.pdf page 3 refers to the fungus problem...

Keith Williams

Postby Darren » Wed May 20, 2009 3:15 pm

How about a brazier?

Darren

Postby cagsley » Wed May 20, 2009 5:22 pm

In my experience it is definately possible to have roots burn underground and a fire pop up elsewhere. It happened to us after a brash burn so now we burn brash in a barrel with fire buckets close by. I have set flat firebricks into the earth at ground level for our main camp fire. In my experience this makes fires easier to light, is not very noticable, gives a good level surface for metal firegrids and does not go out when it rains. Pits dug in the earth fill with water very quickly in a heavy shower and in my opinion should be avoided as permanent fire sites. I camp with an organisation that turfs its fires correctly(not usually necessary in woods.) But even these shallow pits have to have small trenches dug into the corners as cooking for 100 on a waterlogged fire is impossible.

Craig

cagsley

Postby Binz » Thu May 21, 2009 6:12 am

OK, it's my turn to ask the reckless dumb question; why not just make the fire on the ground (without digging a pit)?

could put a few bricks around it to prop up a wire grid for cooking on. I tried sandstone rocks around, but they started cracking and sending rock splinters flying - not something to repeat. Stout logs instead of bricks will last for a few fires.

If you dont dig a pit then the fire is not so close to roots so less chance of root fire surely?

I've never had any fire spread, but i dont have conifers.

Binz

Postby DaveTaz » Thu May 21, 2009 7:34 am

Our fire is made in a shallow pit, edges lined with rocks (limestone), not had any problems so far.

This might sound extreme but what about lining a fire site with a thick layer of clay or fire bricks to protect any sensitive ground or tree roots

or if it's primarily for cooking over, use a half barrel (45 gallon drum) cut lengthways, add some drainage holes, prop it up on some rocks or bricks to prevent rolling. Easy to contain and portable!

DaveTaz

Postby Exeldama » Thu May 21, 2009 7:03 pm

Im a bitinclined towards bushcraft so the less modern help the better...

Lining with clay is something i have done before and works well.

Sitting it on the surface tends to mean you need a winbreak and not as much heat is retained plus harder to control temp...well in my experience but perhaps i just cant cook.

Exeldama

Postby Keith Williams » Fri May 22, 2009 8:41 am

Rocks exploding is a known hazard, dry stones or bricks out slowly round the fire - water inside can boil and - worst case - can 'grenade' the rock. Pits contain the fire for cooking and wind protection. As I've said in earlier post, if it's not a permanent site it also allows detritus to be buried - after completely extinguishing and cooling the fire of course. I've taken night shots of camp fires and the number of glowing sparks swirling up, even in calm conditions in a pit, is suprising.

Keith Williams

PreviousNext

Return to Woodland Activities