Small Woodland Owners' Group

Less than 5 acres

Camp fires, shelters, wild food, making things, children and more....

Postby Darren » Thu May 21, 2009 7:35 pm

If you look at Ben Law's case the local council wouldn't let him keep the yurt on site, but let him have a caravan????? As I understand it you can have a caravan on site, but can only live in it for a 'season' which is a day shy of year, just as long as it's for forestry purposes. They regard a static caravan as a caravan so you can image what you can have.

Darren

Postby Ryan » Thu May 21, 2009 7:40 pm

Yes, seems quite a grey and people have had different experiences just on this thread.

It's an interesting one but I think James makes a good point, woods destory caravans.

You have only got to park your car under a tree for a few days to know what I mean !!

Ryan

Postby Darren » Thu May 21, 2009 7:55 pm

<cough> Camo tarps. ;)

Darren

Postby DaveTaz » Sat May 23, 2009 8:12 am

I believe planning laws and regulations are guidelines for planning officers to use as and when they see fit. Different Planning officers can seem to interpret similar situations in different ways.

I met with a local planning officer and enquired about siting a caravan, and was told it would be fine providing it wasn't used for living in - no word of removing it for a short time - rather a pointless exercise when it's going to go back to the same place!

Best thing is to to approach your planning department (armed with all necessary plans and information) and be upfront and honest with them - they are public servants and are there to help you after all. Most of them will understand you if you can justify your requirements

DaveTaz

Previous

Return to Woodland Activities