Small Woodland Owners' Group

Off to our Woods

Camp fires, shelters, wild food, making things, children and more....

Postby John H » Tue May 05, 2009 5:15 pm

Tomorrow I am off to our woods in Wales for a week. Jobs on the agenda are: to carry on clear felling the area of spruce we were supposed to have cleared last year, processing some logs and getting them in the dry and if I get time try and do some work finnishing off the shed. I really must get some guttering up before the small stream dries up and I have no water for a shower.

I always do any chainsaw work in the morning and when I start to get tired move onto a slightly easier job like moving the logs up to the mill on the forks on the front loader.

Staying in the caravan internet access is via a mobile dongle, slow but at least I can keep an eye on an forestry item newly listed on Ebay! I am thinking of listing a few big bags of logs to see if they sell.

John

John H

Postby DaveTaz » Wed May 06, 2009 3:18 pm

Hi John, just curious to know what size bags you use and what your ideal selling price is

DaveTaz

Postby tracy » Fri May 15, 2009 3:22 pm

I guess John H is still in the woods! How was your week John? Love to see some pictures of your mill, loader etc, and to know how the selling of logs is going.

tracy

Postby John H » Sat May 16, 2009 11:52 am

I am back , forgot to take the dongle so had no internet access.

I had a great week, felled some spruce, cut some logs and generally played with my toys.

The area of spruce I am clear felling is yielding some logs that go on the mill but also a vast amount that is too small to make it worth milling. Anything under about 8 inch diam takes too long to mill for what one gets out of it. It is a problem to know what to do with it, quantities are too small to try and sell it commercially. I have decided to cut it up for logs. It does actually burn very well on woodburners, burns alot quicker than a hardwood but it gives out a tremendous amount of heat.

John H

Postby John H » Sat May 16, 2009 4:57 pm

The bags I use are the metre cube bags the local farmers get their sheep feed in. There are slightly taller than the sand bags from a builders merchants. Last winter I did not have any dry stored logs so did not really advertise. I think I would need £35 and would have to charge 5% vat on top. For that price delivery would have to be very local. Hardwood would sell for £50 I would think.

Here is a short video, there was slightly less mud about now!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zveYUvuHfAg

John

John H

Postby John H » Sat May 16, 2009 5:11 pm

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/B8G24lf8MBpn-Fx07pkRdA?authkey=Gv1sRgCIiFl6Sd7fSINA&feat=directlink

John H

Return to Woodland Activities