Small Woodland Owners' Group

East Kent Coppice& Hedgerow Organisation

Camp fires, shelters, wild food, making things, children and more....

Postby BigAllan » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:12 am

EKCHO, a newly formed group of enthusastic volunteers, keen to practice the skill of Coppice Management & Hedgelaying are looking for a suitable site to use as a training for both these activities, on two day courses, hopefully to commence September 2009 to March 2010. There will a charge made of £60 per person, tools, insurance provided, maximum 3 people at each course. The fees charged are to fund the group, not for personal gain. I hope to locate a copse with hazel growing within it & lay a hedge along its boundary, or very close by, as part of the course, coppicing to provide the material to lay the hedge, along with tools care/safety & techniques.

Written notes on both skills have been drawn up for attendees to take away them, along with 2 booklets with more information. I have many years experience in these skills, having run courses & set up a simular group in another county in Southern England, courses run for FWAG, Farming & Wildlife Advisory Group in that area. The Hedglaying was started by me in 1996, having over 40 members now, laying 700 metres of hedge last season.

So if you, or you know of someone who owns a possible site in South East Kent, I would like to make contact with them, for the benefit of the coppice & hedgerow management & the keen volunteers who I know are out there.

BigAllan

Postby tracy » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:38 pm

That sounds very exciting BigAllan, I hope you find somewhere suitable and we are keen to hear how you get on

Tracy

tracy

Postby BigAllan » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:41 am

Thank you Tracy, I hope I find a suitable site too.

There is a lot of interest from people who have no knowledge of these skills, hopefully I can help fulfil their desires.

I just need to make the link between them & the landowners, so both sides benefit, quite apart from improved coppices & hedge management, not just trimming & leaving.

BigAllan

Postby jillybean » Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:24 pm

Hello Big Allan, I would certanly be Interested in providing the Venue, If South Canterbury is a good location for you, Trouble is, And forgive me for sounding Flaky, but I dont know if i Have any Hazel. Much of my site is covered in Brambles, which slows down explorations. The Main occupation so far has been rubbish clearance. If I find any I'll let you know.

jillybean

Postby BigAllan » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:16 pm

Hi jillybean,

south of Canterbury would be a fine location for EKCHO, if you have Hazel growing within your wood in reasonable number of stools, then we could visit at your convience & give some advice even if it was not suitable as training site, let me know via the forum. If you wish to contact me by phone, that would be ok as well.

01303-891542

Best wishes, Big Allan

BigAllan

Postby jillybean » Fri May 01, 2009 12:20 pm

Hi Allan. nothing found as yet.I doubt there is Hazel in any quantity, Its Oak and beech so far.

jillybean

Postby BigAllan » Mon May 04, 2009 12:20 pm

Hi jillybean, that's ok, I think if you have Hazel, you would know it, sounds like you have mainly Standards & not coppice stools, I will hope that someone else will be able to help us.

I think many people will think that East Kent is awash with Chestnut coppice, which I find not to be the case.

Mixed woodlands is the norm, with thousands of miles of Hedgerow. I haven't given up hope, I will plod on,

something come along.

Best wishes, Big Allan

BigAllan

Return to Woodland Activities