Small Woodland Owners' Group

Metal detector

Camp fires, shelters, wild food, making things, children and more....

Postby The Sawyer » Sun May 03, 2009 8:50 am

The objective of science is to develop a hypothesis, carry out experiments, obtain data and find if the results support the hypothesis. If you are unwilling to try the experiment, you are losing half of the objective.

As a scientist, brought up with a sceptical engineer as a grandfather, he, my father, my mother, and I have all obtained results from dowsing that are not random. In fact, I won a bet for my grandfather when I was a small child of 5, by finding a water pipe that I did not know was there at all. In the past couple of years I have used dowsing to find electricity cables and gas pipes, pinpointing their exact positions.

The reason for dowsing working is unknown. There are a number of phenomena that, in spite of scientific advances have still not been explained. As science develops, we learn more about things, and this is how scientific development advances from 'the computers are limited to being huge and can't go any faster' to the nanotechnology and high speeds of today.

As Jillybean suggests, have a go at dowsing, and then come back to us. You might find a new skill.

regards Kester BSc (Hons) & Chris CSci. CChem. MRSC.

The Sawyer

Postby RichardKing » Sun May 03, 2009 10:33 am

You claim to a scientist, yet fail to supply anything other than what you should know to be annecdotal "evidence".

As the Chinese say "If a million people believe a foolish thing, then it is still a foolish thing"

RichardKing

Postby Keith Williams » Mon May 04, 2009 10:17 am

Richard, the biggest fool in the world can say the sun is shining and that doesn't make it dark. I'm a total sceptic, but have tried this and had results. Just 'cos I don't know how it works doesn't mean it's rubbish.

Keith Williams

Postby Francis Biley » Mon May 04, 2009 3:09 pm

Betz - from the Journal of Scientific Exploration:

Abstract - This report presents new insights into an unconventional option

of locating water reserves which relies on water dowsing. The effectiveness

of this method is still rightly disputed. Now, however, extensive field studies

- in line with provable and reliable historic accounts - have shown that a

few carefully selected dowsers are certainly able to detect faults, fissures and

fractures with relative alacrity and surprising accuracy in areas with, say,

crystalline or limestone bedrock. A series of Deutsche Gesellschaft fur Technische

Zusammenarbeit (GTZ) projects involving this technique were carried

out in dry zones with unexpectedly high rates of success. In particular, it

was possible to locate a large number of relatively small underground

aquifers in thinly populated areas and to drill wells at the sites where water is

needed; the yields were low but sufficient for hand-pump operation throughout

the year. Finding or locating a sufficient number of relatively small fracture

zones using conventional techniques would have required a far greater

work input.

The relevance of the method used was tested under various aspects. On the

one hand, project areas with different geological characteristics were chosen

and, on the other hand, the relevant circumstances and project results were

carefully examined by geology experts. So far, neither critical consideration

of all possible objections nor attempts at reasoning have yielded a conventional

explanation for the persistent success of the dowsing technique - an

outcome which has been corroborated by a number of specifically designed

control experiments and comparative tests. The trend of the reported findings

is concordant with that exhibited by the findings from recent scientific

research carried out, for example, by a Swedish geological institution and

universities in Munich. Provided that certain conditions are met, the results

obtained show the dowsing technique to be a serious alternative for groundwater

prospecting. It can thus be concluded from these present experiences

that the effectiveness of locating ground water in certain hydrogeological situations

could be raised significantly if conventionally organized operating

teams were to make additional use of appropriately tested and selected

dowsers in order to pinpoint drilling spots. Along these lines, a model of integration,

which has already been tested on a pilot scale in some of the GTZ

projects presented herein, is discussed and proposed for future provisional

use. The high success rates described in this report suggest the design of specific

tests for future use which may contribute to a scientific clarification of

the dowsing phenomenon. At the same time, there is the possibility of an especially

useful transfer of practical knowledge concerning water-resource

development. Finally, due to its biophysical background the issue might be

of importance to bionics; further treatment should aim at technical simulation

of the proven - albeit unexplained - effects of the dowsers in order to

create new and more effective measuring procedures

The Sheunen experiments however found different results, and although some people seemed to possess the abilty to accurately dowse, they considered that most positive results could have occured by chance; however that conclusion has been sytongly challenged (Naturwissenschaften 83, 272-275 (1996).

I can supply much more of this kind of thing if you want; I have successfully dowsed as well, used earth acupuncture in order to correct issues related to geopathic stress, etc etc and while we're at it - happy Beltane everybody (a few days late).

Francis Biley

Postby RichardKing » Mon May 04, 2009 7:47 pm

Just another crank journal

eg their latest offering

Gary E. Schwartz Effects of Distant Group Intention on Seedling Growth

Apr 09, 2009 at 4:39 PM EST | G. E. Schwartz

Gary E. Schwartz, Ph.D., discusses the effect of focused group thoughts on the development of seedlings, in recent research carried out with Lynne McTaggart, Mark Boccuzzi, and Melinda Connor.

I almost died laughing

RichardKing

Postby tracy » Tue May 05, 2009 8:49 am

Well, I found a cool bullet casing, just waiting to find out more about it.

http://peplers.blogspot.com/2009/05/metal-detecting.html

tracy

Postby Underwoodsman » Tue May 05, 2009 9:23 am

I've been watching this post develop from Tracy's “I’ve got a metal detector" to a slightly off topic; Richard takes on the cranks. So lets get back to reality shall we. Chris, The Sawyer and a number of other are convinced that dowsing works for them. Richard and many others, who I suspect don't want to get involved, don't.

So we are left with 'we believe we have seen it working but we can't prove it scientifically'. Richard doesn’t believe it but hasn’t actually come up with proof it doesn't work. The only thing he has proved is that I didn't know the true definition of the word "anecdotal" and either he or my spelling checker doesn't know how to spell anecdotal, which is hardly a victory either way but that’s life for you.

So can we get back to Tracy’s original post.

Interesting find we await your report.

Underwoodsman

Postby tracy » Tue May 05, 2009 9:49 am

I think a bit of debate is healthy ;-) and apparently my bullet is from a cannon. I want to go back now and see if I can dig up the cannon ;-)

tracy

Postby Underwoodsman » Tue May 05, 2009 10:51 am

If you find one just watch your back when you lift it remember straight back and bend your knees.

Damned elf an safety mumble mumble why bury it in the first place ;)

Underwoodsman

Postby tracy » Tue May 05, 2009 11:51 am

My bullet:

" It's a British 20mm cannon shell casing. These type of 'bullets' had a large explosive tip which, when they struck an object, made a VERY large hole. Any plane hit by two or three of these things was usually enough to cause major damage. The punch mark on the centre of the base shows it has been fired and it has most likely been fired by a plane flying overhead. However, you may have stumbled across an old firing range or even old barracks in your wood and the case has been dropped by an airman/soldier for some reason.

These type of shell were not used by the Americans in their aircraft so it is almost certainly from an RAF plane."

Cool find! Anyone else found anything interesting?

tracy

PreviousNext

Return to Woodland Activities