Small Woodland Owners' Group

outdoor shower

Camp fires, shelters, wild food, making things, children and more....

Postby tracy » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:29 am

You are from the Cape Steve? Cool! I grew up in Claremont. (near Newlands) Well, you keep hold of your veldskoen and grubbiness then! Perhaps the smell of an unwashed man will deter the many lions....

tracy

Postby Darren » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:37 pm

Will the sprayer work? I assume that they are not designed for hot water. Will the plastic and seals work when hot/warm. It's a nice idea.

Darren

Postby greyman » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:05 pm

Steve,

You could always work on the Family from the 'Green' angle in that if you smell of smoke etc the incidence of mozzy/biting insect's is greatly reduced and you shouldn't have to resort to covering yourself in leathal chemicals - well it might work for most: I know there are those who are irrisistable to our fellow woodland denizons.

Have fun in your woods this weekend and keep an eye out for all them luvly spring plants and birdies! We've got our Bull finch at the feeder already along with sundry tits and waring Robins as well as orchids coming up in this seasons coppice cut.

Be safe,

Greyman

greyman

Postby steve rollnick » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:14 pm

Dear Richard, Greyman, Athelstan, Tracey and Darren,

Report-back time on my query about a shower, with deference to Greyman and Athelstan's hard nut atitude ("just dont shower"). I shopped around quite a lot, then decided to look into the simplest idea propsed above, by the wonderman Darren! A watering can.

I can report complete success. Six grubby adolescents and two Dads after 72 hours of hard rain and mud.

Tie handle of a good watering can to a branch, full of water at just the right temperature, and pull the neck down. Perfect.

Darren, you dont want to see the photos.

Thanks mate.

Steve

steve rollnick

Postby Darren » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:26 pm

Your alright keep the photo's ;)

My moto in life is keep it simple. Glad I could help.

Darren

Postby RichardKing » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:33 pm

I see that Maplin now have their 12v camping shower that you can plug into your car lighter reduced to £5.99

RichardKing

Postby SimonFisher » Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:24 am

I recently bought an Aquafresh Travel Shower and used it for the first time last weekend. Excellent! It's a 12 volt submersible pump with a hose leading to a shower head. The flow rate is adjustable up to a claimed 8 litres a minute, and I've no reason to doubt that figure. It was far better than many hotel or B&B showers I've used.

It takes power from a regular car accessory power outlet (traditionally referred to as the cigarette lighter), though I use it with a separate 12 volt marine/caravan leisure battery instead. I prefer to avoid using the car battery for anything when we're camping as it could be embarrassing to find the battery flat when we come to drive off.

For the water tank, we have a 40 litre Aquaroll water container and we create a pleasing warm water mix by heating some water using a storm/kelly kettle and adding it to cold water in the Aquaroll.

The shower kit comes with a suction pad holder which is good enough to hold the shower head high enough on the side of the car for an easy shower.

I came across this article which explains how to make a solar water heater using a car inner tube, although I haven't tried it out.

SimonFisher

Postby cagsley » Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:34 am

We have been using one of these, http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hozelock-Ltd-Porta-Flower-Shower/dp/B000PBUFHC for a month or so now. Use 1 fully kelly kettle and then fill to half with cold (shake and pump) hey presto excellent shower. No problems with seals and I got ours from ebay for £12 delivered. If you have a larger pot or pan on the go fill the full five litres for a long shower but you will have to pump again mid shower. Only issue was that as shower was so good I've had to build a shower cubicle in our wood as the ladies want to shower as well now!!

Craig

cagsley

Postby steve rollnick » Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:10 am

Dear Cagsley and Simon,

great to hear that you have a shower sorted out (whatever Greyman says about the delights of not bothering!). I still swear by the impact of a single watering can slung up on a rope, with a little chord close to the nozzle for pulling down when you want more water. So keep that in reserve if your technology breaks down.

I've been wondering about a mud bath. I spent 8 days in the wood recently. My word, there was 3-4 hours of sunshine in all that time.

Steve

steve rollnick

PreviousNext

Return to Woodland Activities