Small Woodland Owners' Group

building a woodland shelter

Camp fires, shelters, wild food, making things, children and more....

Re: building a woodland shelter

Postby Dexter's Shed » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:01 pm

at the end of the day, you'll build what you think is best, but have a look on e bay at portable garages/greenhouses, it's just another idea, that could work for you, can be picked up relatively cheap, and as it's portable, cannot be classed as a permanent structure by councils, if they did object to a solid pallet roof type building

I picked ours up for £80, it's changed a bit since we first put it up, we didn't secure it down well enough and the high winds took it away a few times, it's now lower, totally held down, and has a cheap log burner in it (another e bay find)

keeps us dry and warm on the worst days

http://youtu.be/_qdTiKSElME
Dexter's Shed

Postby SitkaSpruce » Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:32 pm

I'd actually like an Anderson shelter- not that you can buy them now but they are a small discreet structure that I think would fit into a wood quite well and would give protection from the wind and wet- on our travels in other woods we've come across a fibreglass type thing not dissimilar that i think must be used by shoots, it has a low entrance with benches either side. We might try and build a replica one day- once we've finished thinning the other 4 acres of new planting :)
SitkaSpruce

Postby Dexter's Shed » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:23 pm

did a quick search, and found a rusty anderson shelter on e bay for £299, I've got one at end of our garden that I keep the garden tools and spare bee hives in :D
Dexter's Shed

Postby smojo » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:36 am

I'd actually like an Anderson shelter- not that you can buy them now but they are a small discreet structure that I think would fit into a wood quite well

Yep thought about that too and haven't given up on it yet. The closest thing to them you can buy are pig shelters or "pig arcs" but think they are probably quite expensive but could easily be adapted with some benches.

This link is arc shaped corrugated sheeting. They state three sheets would make a shelter 8' x 6ft 9" and 4' high would cost about £100 which seems reasonable. It could be built up on a Would last for years with no maintenance and could be moved quite easily if required. I might have just talked myself into getting one ;)

http://www.gumtree.com/p/roofing-ventilation/field-shelters-dog-kennels-pig-ark-sheets-corrugated-galvanized-0.7mm-275g/1087405468
smojo

Postby Dexter's Shed » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:45 am

I quite like that idea smojo, you could set up a couple of logs on their sides, to place this onto, giving a bit of extra height, letting the logs rot on the ground rather than the steel, moving it every few years?
if you go this route, we need video of the build, would be easy enough to panel a back and entry out of woven panels, and also to make a log burner not worth pinching, covering it with leaves/branches would help it blend in :D
Dexter's Shed

Postby ballibeg » Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:45 pm

Useful planning wise to have shelter movable.
ballibeg

Postby oldclaypaws » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:44 pm

It doesn't hurt to do a bit of lateral thinking. If you have a moveable object, it doesn't need any sort of planning, after all its not fixed. Its surprising how something like a camper van can be stupidly high prices, but theres little or no market for used small buses. How about this for £1000?
Spacious, mobile, almost certainly insulated and weatherproof, and if it didnt leave the wood, no need to tax or MOT. Probably cheaper than most sheds.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ldv-convoy-welfare-bus-coif-psv-minibus-new-mot-very-clean-for-age-camper-/141486709045?pt=UK_Minibuses_Buses_Coaches&hash=item20f143d935
oldclaypaws

Postby Wendelspanswick » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:11 pm

If you are looking for small shelters have a look for Calf Hutches:
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=251737421722&globalID=EBAY-GB&alt=web
Wendelspanswick

Postby Dexter's Shed » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:26 pm

I have to say, out of the bus and plastic cow bin, I still prefer smojo's pig hut

I think the pig hut would blend in far better, a bus would stick out like a sore thumb, and the plastic cow shed could/would melt if you wanted heating in the winter
although we will be trying to build a small roundhouse, more for the fun of building it, but I may even buy a pig hut too,
Dexter's Shed

Postby boxerman » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:54 pm

I have to agree with Dexter, the pig hut looks like a great solution - it would be usable, light to move and, give it a year and it's blend in to the scenery just fine - hell, you could plant some turf on the top and you'd never see it. I'd guess the biggest downside would be the lack of light inside.
Phil

https://twitter.com/boxermanphil for my Badger videos
boxerman

PreviousNext

Return to Woodland Activities