Small Woodland Owners' Group

Chestnuts!

Camp fires, shelters, wild food, making things, children and more....

Chestnuts!

Postby Zenith » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:31 pm

I've been away for most of last week and only got up to my wood today. What a difference a week makes. My wood is called 'Old Coppice' because it is an old sweet chestnut coppice. And boy, did it live up to its name. The floor was carpeted with beautiful, large sweet chestnuts. Before I bought the wood, the only sweet chestnuts I came across were small and soft. These were the real McCoy.

My wife likes eating them raw. I like them roasted. And we both like chestnut stuffing. We will have more than enough for doing all three, but do any of you have any other suggestions for tasty recipes using sweet chestnuts?
Zenith

Re: Chestnuts!

Postby Dexter's Shed » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:14 pm

my suggestion is send me a box full to try out, we sadly have no sweet chestnuts :(
Dexter's Shed

Postby oldclaypaws » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:50 pm

Have to say having tried a couple of recent recipes, nothing beats just good old roast ones on the woodburner.

We now seem to be entering a surplus and having to freeze the excess. If we get into a glut, will PM you for an address with view to a dispatch Ratty. Barter for squirrel burgers? The gales should bring a good few more down, if they don't get washed away or nibbled by our furry friends.

The only thing I can think of better than our own Chestnut Trees is if we find a Lager Spring, Dogfood Bush or Twentyquidnote Tree in the unexplored inner jungle.
oldclaypaws

Postby oldclaypaws » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:34 am

So far we've had a few early nuts dropping, but it seems we're now going into 'harvest time'. Took advantage of the sun today and had a stroll with the hounds. Our biggest clump of chestnuts now has a carpet of cases and nuts 4" deep on the ground, looks like its a 'mast' year for them. Only reason I stopped picking is I ran out of pockets! Will go back with herself and a log net at the weekend, weather permitting. Its looking hopeful Ratty.

I reckon this alone is almost justification for buying the wood. If you haven't got any Sweet Chestnuts and are down South, plant some !!, preferably where there's plenty of light and sun. Suddenly my regeneration plans are going to have another species added to the list, and not so sure my plans for felling them and turning them into shingles are looking quite so definite, maybe just the big old unproductive ones.

Yes, lots of recipes please!

chestnut bounty.jpg
oldclaypaws

Postby splodger » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:19 pm

we have got a carpet of chestnuts too - but with several hundred mature stools - that is to be epected 8-)

apparently are nuts are exceptional (according to a regular nut hunter)

paws - have to say you need to pefect your foraging skills a bit - as you've got a few bad ones in that pic ;)

as for recipes - i don't like them much (haven't tried making booze from them yet though ;)

i'll have the odd one fresh - and i did pick a few up the other day, to put in with some braised red cabbage - and must say they were might scrummy - so might add a few more next time i make some
splodger

Postby Dexter's Shed » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:51 pm

chestnuts and brussell sprouts :D
Dexter's Shed

Postby Zenith » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:39 pm

Arrrggghhhh!!!!! You've said the dreaded words. I only need you to mention the M**mite word and I'll be reaching for the sick bucket. My chestnuts aren't going near those things. :evil:
Zenith

Postby oldclaypaws » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:50 pm

All together now......

MARMITE !!!
oldclaypaws

Postby Zenith » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:32 pm

No!!!!!!!

Zenith

Return to Woodland Activities