Small Woodland Owners' Group

Woodland Tracks and Roads

Camp fires, shelters, wild food, making things, children and more....

Woodland Tracks and Roads

Postby Bearwood » Wed May 01, 2013 10:42 am

I was wondering if any of you folks have any experience of the construction and specification of roads with a view to accessing parts of the woodland for the purposes of extraction etc.

Although our woodland is small, there is no current access to the far end other than via small informal pedestrian routes. We also need to construct a small holding area for timber and for parking a van or loading. The soil is very sandy, and is currently occupied by grasses with brambles and a few nettles and is very free draining, but prone to wind erosion when exposed.

I'd rather approach the construction of any roads and tracks in a low impact and sustainable way, and of course seek approval for the construction via Part7 of PD for woodland.

Initially, where a holding area is proposed, I'm thinking of removing the grass and importing clean Type1 MOT, to a thickness of 300mm, possibly with a permeable geotextile at 150mm. This should allow the surface to be free-draining and resistant to erosion and also sufficient to allow small 7.5t vans/trucks to load or unload if required.

For roads and tracks, I was pondering the use of grass mesh placed down and pinned into position. I've never used this material before, but it ticks the boxes in terms of reducing soil erosion by allowing the grass to bind it into the root system over time. A link to the kind of mesh I'm talking about can be found here:
http://www.grass-reinforcement.com/inde ... ction-mesh

(No connection etc)

I'd rather seek advice and opinions before spending money on the above as you guys may have approached this in a totally different way.
Bearwood

Re: Woodland Tracks and Roads

Postby Jackdaw » Wed May 01, 2013 3:06 pm

Hi.
The tracks/rides within our woods, were formed from the historic extraction of timber, the last time being 20 odd years ago.
Part of the process was, for the extraction company to form these as part of the the deal. Might be worth considering !!.
Though, even now, I'm pretty sure my tyres would be flat from punctures if I ventured to far in, we need to look into an ATV probably.
Jackdaw

Postby Bearwood » Wed May 01, 2013 3:55 pm

Cheers Jackdaw.
Any roads into the woodland will need to be maintained by us to allow negotiation by the tractor at least, or a car at best. Compromises needed methinks :/
Bearwood

Postby Andy & Heather » Thu May 02, 2013 3:20 pm

Whilst we do not know a huge amount about track construction ourselves, we are in the process of putting in over 800m worth of rides and track in our 6 acre wood, so I will share from our experience.

PLANNING: Don't forget that, aswell as permitted development plans, "applicants must always seek an opinion from the FC on new forest roads." In our case we needed to have an Environmental Impact Assessment done as well. The regional FC Officer was extremely helpful and sorted it all out for us. Our local council Forestry Officer was equally helpful in advising us on ride/track layout and local contractors (and then reasuring us that the contractor was not being unreasonable when he recommended over 2 1/2 tonnes of stone per running metre of a 3 metre wide track.) And when we had an unexpected dry spell, the Planning Officer pushed things through in a couple of days so we could take advantage of the weather and get the contractor on site! We were concerned that the authorities would think it was overkill for a wood our size, but they were delighted because it showed we intended to manage it and they did all they could to help.

TRACK CONSTRUCTION: Now I don't know about building tracks on sand because we are in the unenviable situation of working on a wet site with clay topped up with a thin layer of peat, but I think it strange that you are going straight to MOT Grade 1 - everything I have read talks about needing a solid sub-base first. Maybe sand counts as a solid base, but it may be worth looking into that. In our case we started with 2 tonnes of '100mm to dust crushed stone' per running metre, but after a couple of loads it was clear that was not large enough so we completed the foundation with '150mm and down'. It seems like overkill, but even that will only take domestic traffic (i.e. cars pulling a tonne of logs, caravans, school minibus) and not cope with heavy felling machinery. We now have a good firm sub-base which has been allowed to settle for a month or so. Next week it will be shaped and rolled before being capped with 64 tonnes of MOT grade 1 over 100 metre. The stone is the expensive bit if you cannot quarry it on site. We did talk about using a membrane to save on the quantity of stone used, but in our situation we decided to reduce the length of the track and go for the strongest contruction possible. This is a one-off capital expenditure that we allowed for when purchasing the wood and we expect it to outlive us. I found the following FC article helpful http://www.forestry.gov.uk/pdf/ON025-Fo ... 110809.pdf

DRAINAGE AND RIDES: Although the main track has been by far the biggest expense, the biggest impact has been having the contractor clear a network of rides and drainage ditches. It only took a couple of days (@£30/hour) and was the best money we spent. Now we have access to almost all parts of the wood and when they have had a chance to dry out enough for him to do the final grading we will let the grass grow back. They should then be dry enough for year round access with a trolley on foot and a car in the summer. A few hours work and 1/4 acre of brash has been swept away, all the tree stumps left from the clear-felling operation dug up and buried deep out of sight and the site roughly levelled. We had started to clear this area but after a couple of days of hacking away we had barely made an impact. Half an hour with the tractor yesterday saw the area rotavated and levelled even more - it would have taken us days to do it with a small domestic rotavator. Now we are left with a large level clearing to sow a wild-flower meadow. I have been won over with using large machinery to do the big jobs. One things we have come to realise - owning a wood is much larger scale than gardening.

Warning - it looks a right mess when it is being done, but even now we can see the grass growing back and it looks better.
Andy & Heather

Postby Bearwood » Thu May 02, 2013 6:02 pm

Cheers for the detailed reply Andy & Heather, I'm glad to see you've gone to town on doing things properly and I don't think it's overkill at all. You are indeed in an unenviable position of having peat overlying clay; would I be right in assuming your wood has a high water table as well? This may be why the sub base of 10cm to dust has been recommended with type 1 MOT capping. Did the contractor carry out any CBR tests to come to this conclusion or was it at the FC's recommendation based upon their knowledge of the area?

We're quite lucky with our subsoil and underlying strata as we have sand (although it is easily eroded when uncovered) followed by sandstone thereafter. I'm quite lucky that I've been able to pilfer my employers CBR gear to get an understanding of the ground conditions, hence the 150mm sub-base and another 150mm capping. The average CBR value has come out at 25, which means that for flexible pavement such as the turning area, the extra 150mm capping is superfluous. Despite this, I'm keen to make it stable for any HIAB or small crane operations where spot loads can cause a problem.

It may be that the grass protection netting/mesh needs to be kicked into touch in favour of a proper job such as yours. I shall be in touch with the FC shortly to see where our next steps are from here.

Thanks again for your help and advice.
Bearwood

Postby Treeation » Sat May 11, 2013 6:22 pm

Hi There,

Have you considered applying for funding under the WOODFUEL WOODLAND IMPROVEMENT GRANT? Might be able to get a fair bit of your work paid for.

Good luck

Patrick
www.treeation.co.uk
Treeation

Postby Bearwood » Sat May 11, 2013 6:29 pm

Cheers Patrick. Might give that a look.
Bearwood

Return to Woodland Activities