Small Woodland Owners' Group

dead hedges

Camp fires, shelters, wild food, making things, children and more....

Re: our dead hedge effort

Postby Dexter's Shed » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:05 am

Hi LP,

the small test hedge we made probably did drop about a foot, as the brash when put in was green, but we topped that bit up around a month ago, the width inside the hedge is approx between 18" - 24" it changes sizes as it moves along,lol
yes it deffo is dog proof, we had our jack russell with us, and she had to keep running around, unable to find a way through, although we do use hazel rods woven along the bottom to a height of about 8" as it holds everything together,
for areas that need some sort of boundary, its a very quick fix, I'm sure it'll need a yearly fix, and so I'm told, becomes a haven for rabbits, which I'm happy with if true :)
Dexter's Shed

Postby oldclaypaws » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:34 am

You are certainly getting stuck in Ratty/Dexter. Do you remember life before having a wood? :D
oldclaypaws

Postby Dexter's Shed » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:04 pm

oldclaypaws wrote:You are certainly getting stuck in Ratty/Dexter. Do you remember life before having a wood? :D

no :lol:
but I do remember when we were in the process of buying, thinking, yeah we will visit once a fortnight maybe, it won't take over our lives :D
how wrong was I, it's every week, and more
Dexter's Shed

Postby oldclaypaws » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:12 pm

My wife brought a friend to see the wood. As she entered the clearing, Tracy said "Oh, Chris is here", to which my other half replied, "Of course, he lives here".- a reference to the typical 30+ hours a week I often spend there, on occasions three visits a day. Once I've got my 'shelter', who needs a house?
oldclaypaws

Previous

Return to Woodland Activities