Small Woodland Owners' Group

Grey Squirrels

Camp fires, shelters, wild food, making things, children and more....

Postby RichardKing » Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:15 pm

Had a roadkill pheasant about 6 years ago. I was camping at the woods with my son, found it on the way to a pub & stuffed it in the hedge. Next day I plucked & cleaned it, then spitroasted. Very tasty.

RichardKing

Postby Chris » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:45 am

Going on to pheasants, we have had two interesting happenings. The first was when a misguided one flew into a gate and broke its neck; I hung it for a couple of days, and plucked it etc. with guidance from my trusty Readers Digest Cookery Year, then roasted it. The second was when one, after running down the road in front of the car took the wrong turn and ran under the wheels instead of into the hedge. I went to the side of the road to look at it thinking it was dead. I nudged it with my foot and it opened its eyes. I thought, oh dear I'm going to have to wring its neck to put it out of its misery, which I didn't terribly fancy, but it took another look at me, decided it didn't like me and ran up the road flapping and squarking. There went dinner!

Going back to squirrels, you might be lucky with an air rifle, but they are more cunning than rabbits, so run round the tree to avoid you.

Chris W

Chris

Postby The Sawyer » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:41 am

Not tried in the woods yet but at home We find the bird feeder a good place to aim at with the Air rifle as they are not looking out for danger.

One method of dealing with grey is two people with air guns.

ttfn kester

The Sawyer

Postby mikepepler » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:26 pm

We visited another wood today, and saw loads of squirrel damage to some oaks, pictures are here: http://peplers.blogspot.com/2008/11/walk-around-different-wood.html

Mike
------------------------------
My blog: http://peplers.blogspot.co.uk/
My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/mikepepler
mikepepler

Postby Rod Taylor » Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:03 pm

Any tips on what is irresistible to squirrels to entice them into a trap. The 'trained' garden variety at the inlaws love peanuts but my wild ones don't seem to recognise them. Traps are just wire cages with sprung entrance door placed on the ground. Caught one on first attempt but none since ----- are the little devils that clever and learn so quickly ?????

Rod Taylor

Postby The Sawyer » Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:59 pm

Hi Rod, the best thing to use for bait is maize (Sweetcorn) it may be that they are managing to escape the trap or some one is letting them out I would expect with a well bated trap to be catching squirrels.

The other thing that you could try is moving the trap, keep an eye on where the Squirrels are in the wood and move the trap to that area. several things to remember when live trapping. 1 check the traps in a regular basis and empty the traps don't let them suffer. 2. it is an offence to release a grey squirrel once court in a trap.

hope this helps happy trapping

ttfn kester

The Sawyer

Postby Darren » Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:04 pm

I have success with crunchy peanut butter.

Darren

Postby Rod Taylor » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:10 pm

Thanks for response.Traps are only out during the day while we are in the woods and peanuts are untouched. Have sited them in areas the beasts are seen skipping around with no luck. Will try baiting with maize and keep fingers crossed, as despite Forestry guidelines saying they only strip trees from April to July/August our little beasts are still at it in November allbeit at a much reduced rate. Will post scores if successful.

Rod Taylor

Postby RichardKing » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:20 pm

Peanuts are alien (as are the greys themselves)

It has been shown that they detect acorns by smell even when buried inches below soil. Why not try them, or hazelnuts ?

RichardKing

Postby Darren » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:49 pm

should be plenty of hazelnuts in the shop right now.

Darren

PreviousNext

Return to Woodland Activities