Small Woodland Owners' Group

Bushcraft

Camp fires, shelters, wild food, making things, children and more....

Postby happybonzo » Sun May 06, 2012 4:26 am

We all use other forums. One of the Forums I use is a Bushcraft forum and the people are always looking for a place to sling a hammock over night

Would anyone allow the use of their woods for the over night stop by the Bushcraft people?

I know that my woods get used on a casual basis and the "hammock dwellers" haven't been any trouble at all

So, any thoughts on the subject?

happybonzo

Postby Keith Williams » Sun May 06, 2012 9:06 am

Hi happybonzo. I'll second this. I'm on http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk and am a regular unpaid helper with natural pathways bushcraft school. I sleep under a tarp on the floor so not strictly a hammock dweller!

It is always easier to say "no" to any request just in case, but if anyone would consider this...

Check the requestor has done some formal bushcraft training or had an upbringing that provides this sort of knowledge, as this suggests they're serious and less likely to burn your woods down.

The people I work with are genuinely interested in (make that passionate about) conservation and improving the flora and fauna and would happily trade some effort to help you manage your woods in exchange for access. They may well be an added security feature for your woods when you can't be there yourself.

If you're willing to put a bit of effort into initially monitoring new people and making sure they share your aims and views - plus simply that you get on with them well - it could be very mutually beneficial.

Keith Williams

Postby treebloke » Sun May 06, 2012 7:17 pm

We had a stay over with a couple of ground dwellers from Bushcraftuk in my wood this weekend, one was very experienced and other was still learning so a good combination there.

treebloke

Postby naturalworks » Wed May 23, 2012 5:04 pm

I'm also a keen bushcrafter. I have access to a 9 acre site; 4 acres semi-ancient mixed woodland, 5 acres meadow. It is a beautiful, wildlife rich spot 10 miles NW of worcester. It's open to use by bushcrafters/wild campers but the landowner like most of us is working extremely hard for a modest living and would appreciate a contribution for each use of the site. I imagine a couple of quid each would make him happy.

Any interested folks can drop me a message and provided you strike me as suitable, I would be happy to put you in touch with him.

naturalworks

Return to Woodland Activities