Small Woodland Owners' Group

Is is possible to start the dream for under 10k

Camp fires, shelters, wild food, making things, children and more....

Postby Bofh » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:53 pm

As the title really folks, I've been after woodland for years and these day's I'm no longer in full time employment so I'm on a limited budget.

Ideally I'd like a few acres in Kent close to Dartford if possible that I could use recreationally, I've searched until my eyes hurt on the web.

So is it still possible to find a plot for that money?

Bofh

Postby Meadowcopse » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:03 am

yes, just...

I got 2 acres of Cheshire for under £10k a patch of meadow cut off from a larger field system by a by-pass. Although inappropriate to fill as woodland, I have diverse hedgerows with trees, planted a mixed traditional orchard of 94 trees on a 6m grid spacing, left half an acre of open grass / meadow flowers and also planted small patches of future coppice, a couple of specimen female black poplars and a few elms of clonal variations to trial Dutch Elm Disease resistance. For now there is enough space between the young orchard trees for a few beds of nursery stock for other projects...

Meadowcopse

Postby Bofh » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:58 am

Well done Meadowcopse, sadly I live in North Kent and round here there seems to be nothing. I might start hunting for local farmers that might have something they would let go, trouble is farmers are not daft and would only ask for the going rate...

Bofh

Postby Binz » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:23 pm

5 acres with a 'barn' for £12K! http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-22384431.html

1) it was in auction today

2) I bet it went for more than that

Binz

Postby Hobby » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:44 pm

The parcel of land mentioned above went for 35k !!!

The guide prices are really only there as bait .

We purchased 14 acres of woodland and adjoining 3 acres of paddocks for 37.5k 3 years ago.....IN KENT

Never give up hope, there's always a bargain around somewhere !!!

Hobby

Postby Bofh » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:09 pm

Thanks guys, I know it's something that's going to take time. I've been working on plans for woodland for years on and off. I have commercial ideas on how to make the woodland a viable business and invest in more if business takes off.

I've been giving some thought to releasing a little more than 10 but funds are still limited, I'm fairly confident that I could cover 30k in 3-4 years but business is a gamble and finding a decent plot in the first place is also somewhat of a nightmare.

14 acres and 3 of paddock would have done just about right :-)

Bofh

Postby Hobby » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:38 am

Do you have any interests in renting ???.

I may, and I stress may, be in a position to rent my entire site out in a few months.

All comes down to an intended house move.

Hobby

Hobby

Postby Steve Medlock » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:17 am

I live in North Kent, but my woodland is in East Sussex - about an hour's drive from home. On my own, I don't think that I would have been able to consider the purchase, but in partnership with a good friend, it was just affordable paying over ten years. Four years to go now and then my half is mine!

Steve.

Steve Medlock

Next

Return to Woodland Activities