Small Woodland Owners' Group

Hi - new Scottish member

A place to introduce yourself to your woodland neighbours exchange ideas and information, pool resources and report incidences.

Hi - new Scottish member

Postby richardross » Thu May 07, 2015 9:50 am

Hi everyone,
I've just joined, and starting to find my way around the site and forums.
I live in Glasgow, but have some 'very old' mixed woodland in Highland Perthshire, not far from Dunkeld.

Look forward to chatting and finding out some more.

Richard.
richardross

Re: Hi - new Scottish member

Postby SimonFisher » Thu May 07, 2015 10:00 am

Richard,

Welcome. Would you tell us a bit more about your woodland - how long have you had it, what do you do with it?

Simon
SimonFisher

Re: Hi - new Scottish member

Postby richardross » Thu May 07, 2015 1:54 pm

Thanks Simon,

The wood is around 17 acres in size, and is on a fairly steep east-facing slope, bordered to north and south by running burns (streams to you southerners!).

The wood has been owned by my family since it was bought from the Forestry Commission nearly 30 years ago. The Forestry took out the most profitable trees just before they sold.

It has a mixture of mature oak, some Scots pine and beech, and a fair amount of spruce planted in strips and patches.

Above the wood, there's a larger plantation of spruce that has recently been felled - as a result the wood is now much more exposed, and there's been a fair amount of wind blow of the tall spruce trees - not an easy task to clean these up.

Over the years, we've done some tubing and replanting of naturally regenerated oaks to fill some of the gaps.

Just a quick introduction - look forward to chatting more.

Richard.
richardross

Return to Meet Your Woodland Neighbour