Small Woodland Owners' Group

Tools

A place to discuss or review of tools and equipment, how to look after them, handy hints for using them.

Postby RichardKing » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:10 pm

Found their website www.ukkitmonster.com

The shop is at the top end of Grosvenor Road in Tunbridge Wells.

Another great shop is The Outdoorsman on Bohemia Road in Hastings.

www.outdoorsman.co.uk

RichardKing

Postby RichardKing » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:04 am

A couple more suggestions of useful kit available from the same shops.

A small metal metal ammo box. Great for keeping your spare chains, sharpening tools, spanner, spark plugs etc all together. Handy carrying handle. Mine came with rather cool fluorescent deco of a an explosion.

Multipurpose stainless steel mug/pot with folding handles, fits together with standard issue one litre water bottle. As used by Mr. Mears, but of course you could always buy it direct off his website for only twice the price.

RichardKing

Postby RichardKing » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:11 am

I think gloves also qualify as tools.

Recently discovered Towa Power Grab Thermo gloves. Sort of elasticated fabric with a rubberised front. Very comfortable, warm, waterproof front, hard wearing, range of sizes.

Great for old gits like me who get cold fingers.

Bought mine at Lamberhurst Engineering, but probably available elsewhere.

About £5- + vat a pair.

RichardKing

Postby woodbodger » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:20 am

Yep and with this weather waterproof overtrousers are a must have to hand.

woodbodger

Postby The Barrowers » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:23 am

Cheap Tool

Use 3 barriers pins, the type of thing that hold barrier tape around events/holes as a tripod to have a kettle over a fire.

Use 2 tripods and another long pole across you have the same that wood craft shops are selling for £89. My version 6 x £1.68 and £2 for the long bit from the scrap yard and some wire to bind the top with. A butchers hook and a bit of chain to hang a kettle.

It is a tool to help boil water

B and T
The Barrowers
The Barrowers

Postby Darren » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:14 pm

What cost £1.68?

You could use road pins to make a tripod. Available from builder yard like Travis Perkins. Easy to pack away.

Muck boots is something I could not do without this week. A lot more comfortable that wellies.

Darren

Postby jillybean » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:41 pm

I love my sharps. Machete, Billhook, Axe, sheath Knife and the Opinel no.7. Use them every time Im in the wood for something or another. I treated myself to a Japanese Whetstone and sharpened everything to a Kamazazi edge. then I did the same in the kitchen and Mr JB nearly took his finger off slicing cheese. Oops.

jillybean

Postby The Barrowers » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:32 pm

Road Pins/ Barrier Pins / Posts. These are the 34. 5 inch or there abouts 12/15 mm steel posts with curly topends

each about £1.50

B and T
The Barrowers
The Barrowers

Postby Rich » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:59 pm

I found that when using 2 tripods joined with a pole, they both seem to fight each other for stability, making it possible for a leg to lift, usally at an inopportune moment. According to Ray something or other, the fur trappers in Canada also discovered this and used a tripod one end and a bipod the other, I tried this and they weren't wrong, it's much more stable and may also save you £1.68 if you're going with the road pin method!

Rich

[email protected]
www.swog.org.uk
Rich

Previous

Return to Tools & Equipment - reviews, use and maintenance