Small Woodland Owners' Group

Smart log holder and Smart splitter

A place to discuss or review of tools and equipment, how to look after them, handy hints for using them.

Postby DavidJ » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:05 pm

Recently I bought a couple of nifty tools/gadgets that I've been quite impressed with. The first is something called a smart log holder - which is basically an "L" frame that has an adjustable set of jaws that hold's limbs of around 4"-10" diameters and upto 10', enabling you to easily log into manageable lengths. Previously I used a saw horse but my wife got nervous holding the logs to stop them rotating whilst I wielded the chainsaw!!!

The second tool is called a smart splitter - it employs a "tethered" maul with a drop weight. I was able to split some quite large Ash and field maple that had previously defied the pressure from my small hydraulic splitter. I fist saw them in action in a youtube video but bought them from Green and Easy to which I have no affiliation but was impressed with their service.

DavidJ

Postby tracy » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:01 am

Thanks David J - there is a write up in the latest SWA magazine on different splitters this month, which is good reading too. Send us some photos of them, you could do a little review if you like!

tracy

Return to Tools & Equipment - reviews, use and maintenance