Small Woodland Owners' Group

Sinful tools....

A place to discuss or review of tools and equipment, how to look after them, handy hints for using them.

Postby Crispin Rogers » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:35 am

I would like to defend the Logmatic against the criticisms of Steve Rollick and

Richard King in sinful tools

I was surprised to read the problem with tennis elbow encountered

using the Logmatic. I have used the Logmatic regularly now for about four years

and have had no problem with my elbows. The idea when using the Logmatic is to

bring the splitting bar down as quickly as possible but to loosen one's

grip at the point of impact thus avoiding any shock, to hands or elbow,

use of gloves also advised.

Also the idea is to split off from about 3 inches from edge of a round say and not at the centre,

this involves keying the blade and a downward strike. The comparison with

an axe or maul is misleading as these would tend to be aimed at the centre of

a log. The problem with a maul or axe is that the split portions tend to fly all over the place and one spends much or time and effort collecting split pieces of wood for a further strikes. With the Logmatic you just split away from the edge and the pieces just fall over on the ground.

Crispin Rogers

Crispin Rogers

Postby RichardKing » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:39 am

Split portions DONT fly all over the place if you put an old car tyre around the log.

Also if you miss it does not damage the axe/maul.

RichardKing

Postby Crispin Rogers » Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:34 pm

Yes you can put a log to be split inside a tyre and this can then be split with an axe and it will contain the split peices. However there are a few practicalities. If you put the tyre on the ground the substrate must be hard and also not damage the axe blade. If you put it on a stump the stump has to be big enough for the tyre to rest on. There is also the issue of portability, if you have a single splitting station fair enough but this method is impractical otherwise.

The Logmatic does not suffer from these drawbacks when properly used and is a faster splitting method than an axe. See for example an comparison of an axe, the 'Smart Splitter' and the 'Logmatic' in Smallwoods magazine winter 2009 Issue 36 pages 20-21.

Crispin Rogers

Postby The Barrowers » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:33 pm

Hello

Just bought a SPARE chainsaw, Husqvarna 240 TAC, the one with the Trio Brake (the extra chain brake at the throttle end) Wanted it, Didnt need it but I'm sure it will come in useful to supplement my other Husqvarna. It is also lighter for others to use.

B and T

B and T
The Barrowers
The Barrowers

Postby woodbodger » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:36 am

The most sinful tool I have ever bought:- a Chinese chainsaw, my neighbour has one also and between us we don't have enough parts to make one work. I have also bought a Chinese light sensor and remote door bells and they don't work either. My dad always said I was a slow learner!

woodbodger

Postby Rod Taylor » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:24 pm

My manually pumped 10 ton hydraulic log splitter has just started seeping oil so will need repair/replacement. So perhaps time to splash out on powered model this time.

Has anyone any recomendations for a sturdy electric powered model for use at home that is built to last. A log length of around 600mm capacity is enough for my needs.

Rod Taylor

Postby RichardKing » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:12 am

Few years back I bought a horizontal electric/hydraulic splitter for about £200-

Its ok, but I would NOT reccomend it. I only use it on twisted grain logs as I can split faster with an axe or maul.

Also the lack of adjustment on log length slows it up. It could be re-designed a lot better.

If I was buying one again I might look at a vertically operated model, but they are more expensive.

I cant reccomend any makes, but I would suggest you tale some time researching & test splitting before making a choice

RichardKing

Postby Rod Taylor » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:30 pm

Thanks for the reply Richard. Been looking at various models on the internet for comparison but seems the stronger heavier versions all come with a much longer stroke than I require, so will keep looking.

Also have the trusty axe and splitting maul but try not to overdo it and aggrivate an old neck injury. Not much more than a month to the Bentley Wood Fair so will arm myself with what I can discover and have a good look there.

Rod Taylor

Postby RichardKing » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:10 am

Farmer next door runs a vertical splitter off of his tractor hydraulics. It does have height adjustment, but he prefers to simply place a large section of trunk on the ground plate to bring it up to a convenient height & split on top of that.

I have seen electric & petrol driven splitters with a similar design.

RichardKing

Postby happybonzo » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:05 am

Sinfull tools... where do I start? A tree harvester for a start? - a new swing shovel> - a new Forwarder? - a new 4x4 Tractor? but I'll settle for a decent firewood processor

happybonzo

PreviousNext

Return to Tools & Equipment - reviews, use and maintenance