Small Woodland Owners' Group

Sinful tools....

A place to discuss or review of tools and equipment, how to look after them, handy hints for using them.

Postby docsquid » Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:50 pm

I can think of plenty of sinful tools that I would like. We were track-building and bridge-building this weekend, and we hired a dumper truck and roller. It was such fun driving the roller, although a bit like a weekend-long PowerPlate session when it was set to vibrate!

The tractor is definitely my husband's favourite tool. Mine is probably my carbon-fibre ratchet loppers, but they aren't really sinful.

docsquid

Postby jillybean » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:40 pm

Just bought 6 huge sawblades, the victorian 2 man jobbies. I cannot possibly use them, they all need handles, which I will make, and sharpening, but I know I wont use them. I just could not resist them and their big serrated teeth.

jillybean

Postby wood troll » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:46 pm

Hi Jilly bean,

I confess I too that I have secumbed to that temptation.... but only one (only 10euros).... what can you do with 6?

I have however used mine! I had a very old oak beam to cut lengthwise and it gave a wonderfully smooth cut finish. I even did it single handed (and have photos as proof!)

wood troll

wood troll

Postby tracy » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:06 am

Wood troll, you should know better by now! Mention photos and Tracy wants them ;-)

tracy

Postby jillybean » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:42 pm

That is a Great photo woodtroll, nice to see a man getting on with it! how long did that take?

jillybean

Postby greyman » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:47 pm

Wood Troll

Soooo, you won't want any bits of metal in your saw logs then! I can see many, many hours and serious eye strain sharpening that baby!

I've been prevaricating for months now but have finally decided to mortgage the wife and buy a new air rifle. I'm going for a PCP multi shot carbine. I'll be getting a hand pump to fill it with but I do know this method is high on the old physikal effort but cuts out the need for bottle testing and finding a friendly local diving shop. Anyone apart from Mike P got any information as in 'for 'n' against' the stirrup pump?

Greyman

greyman

Postby wood troll » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:01 pm

jillybean,

If I remember rightly it took me just over half an hour to cut through that there oak beam. Once I had sharped the saw it cut through the beam (very old and truely seasoned oak) with a wonderful action, the cut could not have been planed better.

I used it, Grayman, just in case there were any nails in that there beam, don't do my chainsaw no good.

As far as air rifles are concerned... my single shot one deals with the coypu effectively. I think you need to go on one of the bush craft courses being talked about elsewhere to stalk up on your tree rats. Or do you realy hanker for a LMG or GPMG?

wood troll

wood troll

Postby docsquid » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:56 am

Mr Doscquid has just phoned me from the happy friendly tool shop. Last year we bought an Efco brush cutter there (Efco make the Stihl products and theirs are basically Stihl re-badged and a bit cheaper). We have found this to be a really useful tool and it isn't defeated by anything the woods can throw at it.

He is buying a reconditioned Efco (i.e. Stihl) 18 inch chainsaw (larger than our current 14 inch which struggles with large fallen oak branches) but has spotted a nice Makita hedge trimmer that is light enough for me to use. So I might get a nice little treat. And we do need it as the roadside hedge does need trimming to prevent encroachment but isn't long enough to justify a flail for the tractor.

docsquid

Postby Ambo » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:20 pm

Hi greyman

Be careful with water ingress with a manual pump, Gas bottles have hardly any humidity

Ambo

Postby tracy » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:41 am

Not sinful tools - very useful tools!

The Woodsmiths store is now stocking 2 more things we asked him for!

The Super s Storm kettle which holds about 10 pints of water and the woodgas stove. Both are found on this page:

http://www.woodsmithstore.co.uk/shop/Products/Outdoor%20Living/

If you want to see how amazing the woodgas stove is, look here:

http://peplers.blogspot.com/2009/05/woodgas-camp-stove.html

Mike and I cook on it loads! Many thanks to Maurice for stocking these two items - I hope you all go and buy them from him!

tracy

PreviousNext

Return to Tools & Equipment - reviews, use and maintenance