Small Woodland Owners' Group

Sinful tools....

A place to discuss or review of tools and equipment, how to look after them, handy hints for using them.

Postby wood troll » Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:52 am

I thought it time we had a place to confess the acquisition of tools that we might not need and/or can not afford, but ohhhh how lovely they are and it really is the tool for the job.....

wood troll

wood troll

Postby wood troll » Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:00 pm

Bless me wood spirits for I have sinned....

I bought a Slick with a three and three eighths inch blade. I had it brought all the way over from the UK.

Although I could have made the tenons and mortises with a normal large chisel the way the Slick slices so quickly across the wood to leave a smooth flat surface is wonderful. Timber framing becomes a thing of ease and pleasure!

wood troll

wood troll

Postby wood troll » Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:04 pm

My second sin...

Whilst away on holiday (with the chainsaw) I spotted a couple of old stock knife blades. It wa agreed with the owner that in exchange for restoration of one of the blades for her I could keep the other;-)))

wood troll

wood troll

Postby tracy » Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:50 pm

Can I confess things I bought that I don't use? I really wanted a tool belt for my tongs, billhook etc, and I now hate wearing it. It gets carried from place to place ;-)

tracy

Postby RichardKing » Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:48 pm

Several sizes of tenon cutters & a spoke pointer.

Have seen some advertised for sale over here, but I think that the only make worth buying I would have to import direct from the us.

RichardKing

Postby steve rollnick » Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:03 am

Two logmatic choppers (www.logmatic.co.uk), one for home, one for wood, then I got serious tennis elbow, from the force of the downward strike, and there they lie........

..... let me know if anyone wants one... they work well enough....

steve rollnick

Postby RichardKing » Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:50 am

Yes I tried a Logmatic at a show a while back & was NOT very impressed.

Not only did it take repeated blows to split a log that an axe would have cleft in one, but that jarring action of banging down a heavy piece of metal against metal was certainly uncomfortable.

I would recommend a risk assessment before even picking it up.

RichardKing

Postby The Barrowers » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:39 am

Tried both the small and large at the Wealden Show, hard work, time consuming and a maul would have done it in one.

Hurt my tender hands as well

B and T
The Barrowers
The Barrowers

Postby tracy » Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:40 pm

I just got one and I like it so far.... perhaps it depends on your back? Better for mine than a maul is, but will let you know after I have had it a while.

tracy

Postby carlight » Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:12 pm

hi ,

'Spose it would have to be the 3120xp . Will never earn it's keep . Does the job on t'planking rig and handy for big butts .

Mind you i still haven't used the 2 inch angle grinder/carver that i bought over a year ago ! - i will get/ make some time this winter to get artistic - honest !

carlight

Next

Return to Tools & Equipment - reviews, use and maintenance