Small Woodland Owners' Group

Wood Grenade log splitting wedge.

A place to discuss or review of tools and equipment, how to look after them, handy hints for using them.

Postby Catweazle » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:44 pm

The Wood Grenade is a diamond section wedge, designed to split firewood when used with a sledgehammer.

It works pretty well, it's heavy and pointed enough to be stuck into the log by hand then you take a step back and whack it with the big hammer.

I used mine today to split up some large beech which I'd left too long and my maul was just getting stuck in. Sometimes the rounds were splitting into 4 pieces, usually 3.

I think it would be too slow to place and use on fresh or easily split wood, the maul is the tool for that, but if you have older / tougher rounds then it's a useful tool.

Costs about £6 .

Pic here; http://undercrank.com/illustrations/wood-grenade.jpg

Catweazle

Postby The Barrowers » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:02 pm

Screwfix do them for £6:20. I believe there are 3 and 4 way spliting designs but screwfix only list 1 design.

B and T
The Barrowers
The Barrowers

Postby greyman » Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:07 am

Back in the 90's we used the grenade for splitting particularly difficult logs - the only down side we found was that in some bits the grenade would 'pop' out of the split after the first whack from the square end of the maul. Apart from that it worked fine.

greyman

Return to Tools & Equipment - reviews, use and maintenance