Small Woodland Owners' Group

Useful tools....

A place to discuss or review of tools and equipment, how to look after them, handy hints for using them.

Postby Exeldama » Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:06 pm

Maybe not so useful...

I bought a Stihl brushcutter fs400 second hand currently a dream buy....well until i used it at home and smashed a double glazed window with a stone...but in the wood its brilliant......

The chainsaw..well went for new and cheap.... Zomax 4600 off ebay ...it arrived it sat for two weeks and when i tried it .... wouldnt even start...just grated awfully when i tried.

Asked for solution....and the boss went away without sending it....now i am still waiting despite promised a part....not happy.... lets see if they sort it out, and if its actually any good.

Exeldama

Postby sandalfarm » Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:45 pm

bought a stihl chain saw brilliant got a metal blade for the srrimmer and a billhook great for the undergrowth soon have a forearm like a fiddler crab though

sandalfarm

Postby tracy » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:22 am

Sandalfarm, would love a photo of the fore arm like a fiddler crab!?

Yeah, we have had trouble with some tools - so far found that buying cheaper isn't actually worth it... but always hard to tell.

tracy

Postby Darren » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:28 am

You'll be better off going to Homebase or Argos if yu want a cheap chainsaw. At least if it doesn't work they will replace it.

I brought a cheap brush cutter from ebay, which turned out to be a pile of rubbish. It's not easy to send it back as you have to pay for the P&P.

Darren

Postby MartreCycle » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:59 am

My Useful tool was purchased a couple of weeks ago - so simple yet so effective..

Lifting Tongs.

In case your wondering - a manual item for moving and dragging wood - stops your hands getting covered in 'stuff', gives a strong connection to pulling out timber.

Here is a link to some: http://www.stantonhope.co.uk/Tools_26_Equipment_191102_LIFTING_TONGS_20cm.asp

MartreCycle

Postby tracy » Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:00 pm

Oh yes! Lifting tongs are brilliant!

But, spray paint the handles so if you put them down you can find them again!

tracy

Postby James M » Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:31 pm

I use electricians Earth tape, bright green and yellow.

I left my Zomax out in the open in our woods by mistake for a week, rain, wind - started first time.

I learnt the lesson from our £1500 (that's one and and half grand!) SMEG oven that was so useless, and kept breaking down so often, that I stripped it down to re-use the stainless steel parts and wiring and threw the rest in the skip. Now we have a 400 quid Italian thing that works fine.

Bad news you got a dud, but stick with it.

James M

Postby Exeldama » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:26 pm

Yippee......got the part today...still doesnt work...hmmmm

No more cheap and cheerful for me...... i shall percivere and seek devine intervention.

Exeldama

Postby James M » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:48 am

I've been known to rebuild V8s, what exactly is the problem?

James M

Postby Exeldama » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:54 am

Dont worry im bored with it now....i will invest in something from a local dealer whom i can chase directly face to face and glare at when things dont work.

Serves me right should have listerned to son...13.!!

Hey neanderthal man didnt have chainsaws so for the mo it will be by hand

Exeldama

Next

Return to Tools & Equipment - reviews, use and maintenance