Small Woodland Owners' Group

Tractors

A place to discuss or review of tools and equipment, how to look after them, handy hints for using them.

Postby tracy » Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:09 pm

Ok, tractors! A good friend and coppicer has recommended the Fordson Major... any thoughts?

tracy

Postby Rod Taylor » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:18 pm

Been using a Kubota compact for a couple of years and works well. All the 'bits' of a proper tractor and small enough to fit in the back of a pick-up (as I dont trust leaving it alone in the woods)and maneouvre between the trees in our conjested wood.

The three point hydraulic linkage lifts 500Kg so with a home made lifting device lifts and drags some pretty hefty trees, so has been invaluable. The only improvement for me would be to find someone giving away a saw bench to drive from the power take-off. Any offers ???

Rod Taylor

Postby RichardKing » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:16 am

Small, valuable, easily disposed of.

Kutobas must be at the top of every pikey's dream list.

Guard it with your life.

RichardKing

Postby John H » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:27 am

I think first one needs to decide how one is going to keep it safe.

I take the view that as our woods are pretty isolated, only the locals are likely to walk through them, so I gamble that nothing will be stolen or vandelised. Having said that I do only buy machines that look a bit rough, so they are not too desirable.

I have been lucky so far. The local farmers do keep an eye on the place for me.

As for which tractor, I would say size matters, nothing too big and heavy. I would definetly chose one with a front end loader, preferably a power loader. Makes moving logs and pushing up bonfires alot easier.

John H

Postby Toby Allen » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:05 pm

I've got a big Zetor crystal 8045, 85hp pulls my 7 tonne forwarding trailer with no problems. The problem with small tractors is it takes more trips to get the wood out,

causing more damage and compaction, and it's easy to put them in situations that require a bigger machine so can be dangerous.

Harder to steal too, though not always by travellers. Theres a long tradition of itinerant workers in woodlands, comments about thieving pickeys aren't very nice.......

Toby Allen

Postby John H » Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:47 am

I suppose it depends on your terrain. There are some steep slopes on our woods which require 4 wheel drive .I have a compact Zetor with dual wheels which is articulated in the midle , it can go virtually anywhere.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QumXkntvVRA

I bought it from Cheffins auction near Cambridge, and took it down to Wales on the back of a trailer.

A 7 ton forwarding trailer is on my wish list, where did you manage to get ours?

Here is another short film of the Zetor,I don't know why I have gone so tall and thin in it. I am using my stake peeler on the back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6S5wPasXdjM

John

John H

Postby The Sawyer » Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:08 pm

We run a little alpine AGT835t being a Quad tractor it can get to places in a coppice are that the big units can only dream of but as others state it does mean more trips. I run it with a 1.5tonne Forwarder which is a good little unit in tight spaces. We are currently looking to at getting a bigger tractor to work with the AGT and run a larger Fire wood unit, any thoughts? (both on make and supply in the Hampshire Sussex area).

As far as pulling power goes the AGT can pull a fully loaded 10tonne lorry with ease.

regards kester

The Sawyer

Postby John H » Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:29 pm

I have an old Palax 600 firewood processor powered by a very rough looking Intrnational 574. It works very well, I think the more modern Palax have better designed conveyors. I can fill a metre cube bag in about 15 minuutes .

Here is a photo of my newly completed trailer, all made from scrap. How I wish I had a crane!!

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/lh/photo/7kTWngq_eoH6HNAJcvyG-w?authkey=Gv1sRgCJHy3f294Km-yQE&feat=directlink

John H

Postby Toby Allen » Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:54 pm

I got the forwarder from andrew holmes forest machines in north wales, if I could work out how I'd put a picture of it in action on.

Where did you get the peeler from? Where abouts in wales are you, would you consider hiring out in herefordshire for a few days??

Toby Allen

Postby John H » Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:06 pm

I bought the peeler on ebay, it works well though one has to keep engine revs high otherwise the shoot blocks with chips.It works best with green wood ,probably best with 2 men working it,those 6 inch stakes are pretty heavy.

I have not used it that much as I have not worked out a way of treating the stakes. I need to find a supplier of reasonably priced preservative.

I am near LLandovery, where in Hereforshire are you?

John

John H

Next

Return to Tools & Equipment - reviews, use and maintenance