Small Woodland Owners' Group

Land Rovers

A place to discuss or review of tools and equipment, how to look after them, handy hints for using them.

Postby tracy » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:57 pm

anyone have any comments on this one? We drove it today and rather liked it....

http://www.dieselcentre.com/view.asp?ID=11029

tracy

Postby carlight » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:33 pm

-nice estate - owner's car ! - especially if you can get one of the gardeners to wash it .

but why trash a £8000 motor by using it in the woods ?

for a third of the price one could get an honest 300tdi ,probably with winch and mud tyres ,etc.

as has been said , tractor is the thing .

my landies (yes- i am one of them) are really just for getting me and saws to the work site . tractors do all the heavy extraction and so on .(and run the blessing of a hy-crack type log splitter)

anyway ,good luck with your quest .you now have the land rover bug . be prepared to spend most of your internet time on 'landrovernet' !

carlight

Postby tracy » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:22 pm

Well, we have just taken the plunge and got an old ex military one with no frills! We love it, but it is dreadful! lol

tracy

Postby tracy » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:22 pm

You can see our new toy here:

http://peplers.blogspot.com/2009/07/our-new-land-rover-defender.html

tracy

Postby Catweazle » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:06 am

I bought a 95 RangeRover 4.6 V8. It's awesome in the woods, will pull the biggest stump. All I had to do was fit BFG Mud tyres.

The good thing about these is that most of them have never been off road, but they have all the kit you need, traction control, viscous diffs, variable height air suspension, solid axles, low box, etc etc, and they are so, so cheap.

I love mine and, although is seems a crime, it's cheap enough to bash through the woods ( whilst listening to music on the 8 CD multichanger and enjoying the heated leather seats ).

Catweazle

Postby Henrietta » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:05 pm

Don't bother! get a Jeep

Henrietta

Postby RichardKing » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:10 am

Recently had an estimate of £1,500 from a garage for some repairs.

Bought the bits for £150 & did it myself.

Net saving of £1,350

All it took was a few spanners & 2 days work !

Bet you cant do that with a Jeep !

RichardKing

Postby athelstan » Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:20 pm

Isn't JEEP an acronym for

Jinxed Engine Eats Pistons.

or

Jerks Exploring Every Pasture.

or

Joke Electronics Exceptionally Poor.

or

Just Empty Every Pocket

athelstan

Postby Henrietta » Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:47 pm

Don't get me wrong, we love Landrovers and have owned quite a few over the years and we will probably get another, and have spend many, many hours repairing them. However I have to say that the Cherokee we have been running for the last four years has been brilliant, we have pulled out trees in the wood and really put it through it's paces. They are very cheap to buy and pretty good on the rust front. Having said that, the electronics are such that if you don't run it for a few days, the battery goes flat. We will undoubtably get another Landrover when the Jeep seriosly fails and out will come all the spanners once again.

Henrietta

Previous

Return to Tools & Equipment - reviews, use and maintenance