Small Woodland Owners' Group

Land Rovers

A place to discuss or review of tools and equipment, how to look after them, handy hints for using them.

Postby RichardKing » Sun May 10, 2009 6:46 am

Whatever you buy dont get a petrol engine with a catalytic converter.

As explained to me by a consultant engineer.

Catalytic converters contain rare metals (including Plantinum) mined mainly in third world countries where mining causes massive environmental damage, uses vast quantities of water and energy. Plus because they dont start working untill the exhaust is hot enough, the engine has to be de-tuned when it starts up.

RichardKing

Postby Rich » Fri May 15, 2009 5:04 pm

I've just bought a 1991 Def 110 I'm no expert, but all the above about rust in the bulkhead and chasis holds true. Plus check the doors, the skins may bubble up a bit and the mild steel frame underneath could have gone to mush. (I talk from personal experience) Good 2nd hand doors are rare and therefore expensive to replace. Also you might be lucky and get some kind of service history, the one I bought had none and with 100,000 on the clock you can't really take a chance with the timing chain. If that goes it will finish the engine ...probably. It's not an easy job to replace as you need to undo the crankshaft nut which is glued on with locktite and should be tightened to 340nm (sounds quite a lot to me!) I only know this as an old school friend is currently servicing it and has spent 2 days hitting this nut with a sledge hammer!

I'd rather be in the woods so am happy to delegate this activity!

Rich

[email protected]
www.swog.org.uk
Rich

Postby The Barrowers » Fri May 15, 2009 6:33 pm

What about a quad, ideal for dragging timber, easy to convey to woods (not towable behind electric bikes unfortunately) or get legal ie on an agricultural plate no tax or mot, economical except buying price but even new not major. We have 450 Suzuki King Quad. This has saved us miles of barrowing, its amazing how the yards click over. Other option is a tractor maybe a old grey Fergy

B and T
The Barrowers
The Barrowers

Postby athelstan » Fri May 15, 2009 8:57 pm

Rich, I think you will find that you have a timing belt rather than a chain. A rather unconventional if somewhat heroic way of undoing the pulley nut is to get your breaker bar wedged under the offside chassis rail, then touch the starter.

Great fun!

athelstan

Postby Rich » Sat May 16, 2009 7:51 am

Yeah I kept well clear, but I think he tried the starter method ... gave up and then replaced my starter motor!

[email protected]
www.swog.org.uk
Rich

Postby RichardKing » Sat May 16, 2009 11:26 am

Had the timing belt done earlier this year as its age was unknown. Turned out to be very worn. If your timing belt goes on any vehicle then the chances are that the engine will be completely cratered.

RichardKing

Postby RichardKing » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:14 pm

Dont know if you are still considering buying a Landrover, but there is a great thread going on Arbtalk under the title of Ford Tipper.

Seems to be general agreement that Landrovers are a great off-road vehicle (often abused), that other vehicles cannot survive the same treatment and that the spares are cheap

RichardKing

Postby tracy » Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:13 am

Thanks, I shall have a look - the current thinking is a small tractor instead ... wonder if I should start a tractor thread!

tracy

Postby John H » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:13 am

Yes, lets have a Tractor thread.

John H

Postby James M » Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:34 pm

3 years ago I rebuilt an MGB with a 3.5 litre engine from a SD1. Because it was registered prior to 1973 it was classed as historic and so was tax exempt and cost £99 a year to insure fully comp through Footman James.

Note this - the DVLA go on the whichever is older - the body, or the engine - the engine was from a 1985 car, but the car was Nov 1972. More on that later.

If your landy isn't going on a public road buy whatever you fancy, bodge any repairs and leave it in your woods - no tax or insurance needed. I'm sure a friendly neighbour will sell you red diesel.

If it is going on the road, I'd buy a pre 73 restored/ish series I/II and it will have no tax, cheap insurance. I might even buy a restored rolling shell, or a crappy one and restore it myself - then I'd stick a later diesel engine/running gear/interior etc in there from a wrecked defender/disco. It would still be classed as a historic vehicle and thus tax exempt and cheap to insure.

If I did not have a landrover already that's what I would do.

Plenty of people do custom landies for off roading - you can just about do anything mechancially you want with them. Mind you I'm good with cars and welding.

James M

PreviousNext

Return to Tools & Equipment - reviews, use and maintenance