Small Woodland Owners' Group

Land Rovers

A place to discuss or review of tools and equipment, how to look after them, handy hints for using them.

Postby tracy » Sat May 09, 2009 6:21 am

Anyone own a land rover? We are going to look at some - what should be be looking out for?

tracy

Postby jillybean » Sat May 09, 2009 6:59 am

I looked at some tracy, and I must say, the older ones I saw are awful. the bulkhead rusts, as does the rivet holes all down the sides. the bottoms of the doors are another point to worry about. insist on power steering they are so heavy. Otherwise look under the mats for water, they seem to leak a lot, and they get condensation too unless they are lined with something. On the plus side you can get spares for them so you can keep em on the road. Theres a magazine Land rover owners international If your budget is over 8000 youre on to a winner, but buyer beware on the 3000 end of the scale - good luck!

jillybean

Postby Toby Allen » Sat May 09, 2009 9:13 am

I bought a f reg turbo diesel for 1300 a few years ago and it's done me well. There's nothing else can do what a landy does, go anywhere, drag trees about all day then drive home afterwards. Though they are a bit agricultural, need a lot of maintenance, are uncomfortable and uneconomical. Take a torch and a screwdriver, have a really good poke around the chassis and bulkhead if you are going to tow the rear crossmember has to be solid.As the other post said the bottom of the doors rot, as does the door pillars and around the windscreen. Have a look where it's been parked for oil leaks, make sure the milage matches the wear on the pedals and seat. Tyres can be expensive, you'll need all terrains for driving off road.

Good luck

Toby Allen

Postby RichardKing » Sat May 09, 2009 10:24 am

Whatever the age is irellevant. Everything can be replaced (yes even the chassis!). Mine is about 24 years old, but the still going strong, 3rd owner. Engine is a (replacement) 300 TDI (turbo diesel) which everyone? seems to agree is the best engine, more reliable than earlier & later models.

As mentioned, look a the bulkhead, any rust on it below the windscreen can be a very expensive repair.

Also the chassis, box steel girder, but it can rust from the inside (as did mine)

get underneath and go round banging with a screwdriver.

Lastly to say that the infinitely repairable(diesel)Landrover is extremely environmentally friendly as it does not use mountains of carbon & pollution in making a new vehicle, or pollution & energy by scrapping an old one.

RichardKing

Postby Toby Allen » Sat May 09, 2009 10:40 am

They're not that enviromentally friendly for going to the shops in.

Toby Allen

Postby RichardKing » Sat May 09, 2009 11:05 am

I thought we were talking woods, not shops !

RichardKing

Postby Toby Allen » Sat May 09, 2009 12:29 pm

Yes, thats my point. If you need to drive off road, tow a trailer and drag wood about ladrovers are a very usefull tool. It's just not a very economical way to get about. My girlfriends away with the little car this week and it costs me a fiver to drive into town and back in the landy as opposed to a couple of quid in the 205, less if I run it on veg oil.

Toby Allen

Postby tracy » Sat May 09, 2009 1:17 pm

Thanks for all the advice, I knew you lot would have opinions ;-)

We looked at some today and they do look very cool - Mike understood all the technical bits and I looked at the colours and the shapes! This would be for woodland work - mostly because we can then do more ourselves, which means we can pick the weather we do it in and minimise track and woodland damage.

We have our electric bicycles for going to the shop on, and I go to teach on my bike when its not raining! I will get back to you!

tracy

Postby Toby Allen » Sat May 09, 2009 2:00 pm

What model are you looking at?

There are a couple of usefull landy forums, with busy classified sections which give a good idea of the going rate. I think one is called landyzone and the other lro .

Toby Allen

Postby DaveTaz » Sat May 09, 2009 7:01 pm

Landrovers do seem to have many loyal followers, and for good reason. Have you considered any other vehicles?

The first question you should ask is "what percentage of its use would be for offroad/woodland work?" If this is a very high percentage, get a tractor!, if its relatively low percentage look at something more comfy and economical.

I use a Mitsubishi L200 pick-up (5 seater)- decent enough off road and on road, plenty passenger/tool space, pulls 2.5T, reliable and not the most expensive (do you really want to spend valuable time repairing/replacing bits and pieces)! (also good sound system for listening to ......................................................... Ozric Tentacles!!!!)

DaveTaz

Next

Return to Tools & Equipment - reviews, use and maintenance