Small Woodland Owners' Group

Tool list for a new woodland owner

A place to discuss or review of tools and equipment, how to look after them, handy hints for using them.

Re: Tool list for a new woodland owner

Postby SimonFisher » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:52 pm

outeredge wrote:Right, I'll have to get some Fiskars WoodXpert Log Tongs too then... :D

Other brands are available as well. I like the Ochsenkopf ones: -

http://www.clarkforest.com/shop/forest-garden/logging-hooks-and-tongs/ochsenkopf-log-tongs
SimonFisher

Postby SimonFisher » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:54 pm

smojo wrote:What are the felling bar and wedges used for? Is it to lift a log clear of the ground so you can cut it without hitting dirt?

No, for that you can use something like the Log Jack: -

http://www.clarkforest.com/shop/chainsaw/log-jack-and-saw-horses/log-jack
SimonFisher

Postby dredger99 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:01 pm

We thought the same regarding the caravan smojo but we decided that we would just get a semi decent second hand caravan for under a grand and only leave the things that if stolen or vandalised wouldn't send us into bankruptcy.
We also have a plastic storage box hidden under a camo tarp deeper in the woods with some other essentials in it just so all our eggs aren't in one basket.
And so far so good.
And as far as the tongs go they really make a difference, i find moving logs of say 5 or 6feet or larger without the tongs is a struggle but with them you just push them on and they bite then you just manhandle the log via a nice comfy handle.
The ones i got were Oregon Leather Handle Lifting Tongs, no complaints so far.

Dredger
dredger99

Postby outeredge » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:09 pm

outeredge

Postby Lincswood » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:18 pm

Apart from the absolute essentials for felling, I've found that a log jack has been an absolute back saver for me, allowing logs to be lifted clear of the ground and cut to preferred size there and then. If you're over six feet tall, this makes a huge difference. The alternative is a saw horse, but they take up much more space...
Lincswood

Postby outeredge » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:30 pm

Lincswood wrote:If you're over six feet tall, this makes a huge difference.

I'm 6ft, but doesn't a log jack just raise it slightly of the ground so you still have to kneel down like below? I saw a foldable metal saw horse online for £20 but wasn't sure if there was a simpler way to use what was around to raise things above ground level?

outeredge

Postby SimonFisher » Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:37 am

They're different tools, used to pickup or manipulate logs in different ways, so it probably comes down to the job being done and personal preference. There are log hooks as well - http://www.clarkforest.com/shop/forest-garden/logging-hooks-and-tongs/oregon-log-hooks
SimonFisher

Postby SimonFisher » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:02 am

outeredge wrote:
Lincswood wrote:If you're over six feet tall, this makes a huge difference.

I'm 6ft, but doesn't a log jack just raise it slightly of the ground ... I saw a foldable metal saw horse online for £20 but wasn't sure if there was a simpler way to use what was around to raise things above ground level?

The primary purpose of the Log Jack (http://www.clarkforest.com/shop/chainsaw/log-jack-and-saw-horses/log-jack) is to raise the log clear of the ground to save running the chain into the ground. It uses the lever principle to allow it to be done easily and quickly without the user having to lift the weight of whole log. Yes, you can often achieve the same using other logs that are lying around but the Log Jack makes it a simpler procedure. I've had one for a couple of years and I wouldn't be without it now. Do take care if the ground is uneven and the balance of the log changes as you cut pieces off the raised end causing the Log Jack shaft to suddenly lift from the ground and the Log Jack flip to upright. I never stand in line with or astride the shaft!

I tend to use the Log Jack while I'm felling and anything that ends up on the Log Jack I do cut to my desired log length. Anything that gets cut to length later is usually small enough for me to lift into my saw horse of choice - the Log Loc (http://www.log-loc.co.uk/) which I highly recommend, and which is faster to use than the video might suggest.
SimonFisher

Postby smojo » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:57 am

I reckon the log tongs would be the best all rounder, the hook thing means you're gonna have to whack it into the log a bit to get a grip and more likely to dislodge when you're pulling or dragging whereas the tongs probably grip easier and firmer and useful for just picking up small fire-sized stuff if it's a bit wet or slippy. Gonna get one of those. I saw some in Clas Olsen quite reasonable but don't know if quality any good.
smojo

Postby SimonFisher » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:25 pm

Our first log tongs were Oregon brand, bought at Bentley Woodfair in 2008. The handles weren't especially comfortable so when I lost one (well I know roughly where it must be, but have so far failed to find it), I went for the Ochsenkopf ones which have a very comfortable cork handle.
SimonFisher

PreviousNext

Return to Tools & Equipment - reviews, use and maintenance