Small Woodland Owners' Group

Tool list for a new woodland owner

A place to discuss or review of tools and equipment, how to look after them, handy hints for using them.

Re: Tool list for a new woodland owner

Postby SimonFisher » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:30 am

Kelly kettle - yes we have one of those, a nice stainless steel one after our previous one got run over by three tonnes of Land Rover. But why bother if you're going for a day's work and you can take a flask of proper coffee. How many of us go through the 'man must rub two sticks together to make fire for hot drink' and then after doing it a few times decide it's all a bit of a novelty and it's far easier and quicker to pour your preferred drink from a flask you made earlier in the comfort of your own kitchen? My flask even comes with a drinking vessel attached!
SimonFisher

Postby SimonFisher » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:37 am

oldclaypaws wrote:... Oil/Fuel can ... 2 stroke oil & Fuel Fit additive

Alternatively, alkylate petrol (Aspen), ready-mixed with two-stroke oil, less toxic fumes for the user, and doesn't go off - http://www.aspenfuel.co.uk/clean-facts/alkylate-petrol/
SimonFisher

Postby SimonFisher » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:02 am

outeredge wrote:What about a traditional enamel mug vs double walled stainless?

Make sure you have a backup in case you break it ;-) If we're camping, I do prefer a traditional enamel mug for my morning tea, which has to be brewed using freshly boiled water in a warmed teapot.

If we are camping and using a kelly kettle, once I've made whatever drinks are wanted, I'll often heat a final kettle full of water and transfer it to a vacuum flask which can either be used for drinks later or (as I've mentioned above) warming the pot for the next brew of tea.

It's funny looking back at the things you do that work for you. We've had a three-ring gas stove since we bought our woods in 2006 and quickly found that it's so much easier to use if it's perfectly level and at a decent height (higher than the screw on legs), so I fitted it to folding steel tool table with adjustable legs and we keep a spirit level in the car. Now the morning bacon, eggs and beans taste so much better...
SimonFisher

Postby SimonFisher » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:03 am

outeredge wrote:Wickes Bowsaw (thinking of taking this back and buying a Bahco with tension adjuster)

What do you intend using the bowsaw for? I highly recommend the Silky Zubat pruning saw: -

http://www.frjonesandson.co.uk/products-page/silky/pruning-saws1/silky-zubat-large-teeth/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1U97q1OI5o

Silky saws really are excellent. We have a Silky pole saw which is extremely good in use. For a folding saw, I'd expect the Pocket Boy to be as good as the rest of the Silky product line: -

http://www.frjonesandson.co.uk/products-page/silky/pruning-saws1/silky-pocket-boy-large-teeth/

If I'm caught needing a saw and I haven't packed one (my tools don't live in the car), it's amazing what can be achieved with the saw blade on my Leatherman Charge AL (http://www.leatherman.co.uk/product/Charge_AL), which does live in the car.
SimonFisher

Postby smojo » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:05 am

Some good answers, thanks everyone. I am seeing a general trend arising for certain things. I love getting "kit" for anything I do especially if it's a bargain find at boot sales, charity shops etc. So far I've bagged a few useful bargains for my woodland activities.

two pairs new-old stock ex-army heavy duty waterproof trousers - £1 each
German ex army combat jacket - £5
brand new army style high leg steel toecap leather boots - £20 (really nice quality)
two sturdy 2 gallon plastic water containers -£1
antique Yorkshire billhook found in mums' shed - free
small green plastic tarps 1mx2m - £1 each at poundland (thinking of stitching together to make a bigger one)
smojo

Postby DuncanB » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:23 pm

Most important things? Firstly a kettle, teapot, tea bags, mug, milk, biccies etc and easy source of heat (I use a small portable gas ring).
Next a comfortable chair - this is to assist in the comfortable consumption of tea and biccies (did I mention cake?), and as a place to contemplate and plan the hard work you're definitely going to start as soon as you've had another custard cream.
Thirdly (and seriously!!) a decent first-aid kit. You or someone with you will inevitably damage bits which will need bandages / plasters etc. to stop the red stuff from messing up your clean and tidy woodlands. I suspect many of us on this site have had some significant mishaps, and been very grateful for a box of bandages!
DuncanB

Postby greyman » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:21 pm

I was tempted by all sorts of kit in addition to the stuff I'd kept from my time clearing trees in the previous century but don't lose sight of the usually given advice - live with your plot for a season or two before setting too... I'm sure we've all set ourselves plans for stuff to do but keeping it simple for the first year was what we did. I had chainsaws, billhooks, axes and stuff like that but a Kelly was one of the additional starting realities! Love to play the hairy a*@ed man and flail around with flint steel but always have a couple of lighters on hand.
Realities for us are:
First Aid kit with extra pad bandages for compression on wounds - ask OCP about his additional thumbs and others who've flailed with chainsaws to their detriment
PPE - for chainsaw, knee pads for coppicing, hard hat with hearing and eye protection.
Silky Gomtaro saw - great for coppicing and lacerating various body parts, especially on the other hand when your using it. Lesson learned - wear a good leather glove on the hand NOT holding the saw
Stil long handled 'bill hook' I think one of the best tools I've ever got hold of - brilliant for slashing undergrowth right up to and including splitting logs. The blade is thinner than traditional billhooks but seems to be made of a really good quality steel - keeps an edge for a long time and resists bending, even in twisty grained logs. I carry mine everywhere while in the wood.
Recently bought Mrs Greyman a folding Silky for walking sticks and difficult to get at bits - once again wear a glove on the other hand...
The list goes on but the one thing I would say - resist wasting money on stuff that you 'fancy' having unless you've got money to burn. We have only just invested in getting a Westwood tractor off Fleabay (got the cutting bed to take off) as we've decided we have had enough of wheel barrowing all the cut coppice to the kiln to make charcoal (Oh yes, we bought the kiln second year after making a small one that we soon out grew)

None the less Welcome all you Freshers to the wild out-doors! :D
Greyman
greyman

Postby oldclaypaws » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:09 pm

First Aid kit with extra pad bandages for compression on wounds - ask OCP about his additional thumbs and others who've flailed with chainsaws to their detriment

I'd suggest if copying my now famous digit detaching technique, 4 buckets would be most useful. One for the red sauce. Another for storing any removed bits. A third for throwing up in. The last one for sticking over the head to hide the blushes from being such a plonker.
oldclaypaws

Postby smojo » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:31 pm

Stil long handled 'bill hook' I think one of the best tools I've ever got hold of - brilliant for slashing undergrowth right up to and including splitting logs. The blade is thinner than traditional billhooks but seems to be made of a really good quality steel - keeps an edge for a long time and resists bending, even in twisty grained logs. I carry mine everywhere while in the wood.

Yeah, will eventually get a petrol brushcutter for clearing large areas of brambles but researching for some sort of handheld tool for more selective clearing around saplings etc. I can't decide whether the long handled or short handled version would be best. Long saves your back but a bit heavier and unwieldy maybe, short more controllable perhaps?

Also trying to decide whether to shell out for Stihl (should be quality) or be a cheapskate for now and buy a cheaper version. There's some on Evilbay that look identical to Stihl at less than half price. Anyone had experience of these

I think this is the long handled one you mention http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Genuine-Stihl-Bill-Bush-Clearing-Curved-Steel-Light-One-Handed-Hook-/141309377408?pt=UK_Home_Garden_GardenEquipment_HandTools_SM&hash=item20e6b1fb80

the short handled one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Genuine-Stihl-Large-Bill-Bush-Clearing-Curved-Steel-Swiss-Hook-/131207948070?pt=UK_Home_Garden_GardenEquipment_HandTools_SM&hash=item1e8c9a6726

and the cheaper almost identical one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BILL-HOOK-LEATHER-HANDLE-Garden-Weed-Tree-Bush-Cutter-Cut-Down-HEAVY-DUTY-/310881724178?pt=UK_Collectable_ToolsHasdware_RL&hash=item4861fea712
smojo

Postby oldclaypaws » Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:25 pm

Now I have my B/C I can't see me using my Condor Parang again. If you want to negotiate, I might let it go at a pals rate.

For clearing brambles, bracken and other brush found growing in woodlands or jungles you will require a long 'slashing' style blade, and for that task you'll not find a better tool than the Condor Parang Machete.
oldclaypaws

PreviousNext

Return to Tools & Equipment - reviews, use and maintenance