Small Woodland Owners' Group

Kettle kelly or ghille?

A place to discuss or review of tools and equipment, how to look after them, handy hints for using them.

Kettle kelly or ghille?

Postby jennysmate » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:13 pm

Is there any advantage of a kelly kettle over the much cheaper Ghille? Are they better made? Can you also get cooking attachments to fit the Ghille and are they any use? I dont have a good outdoor shop near me, so have only seen them on t'internet so any feedback would be appreciated.
jennysmate

Re: Kettle kelly or ghille?

Postby Dexter's Shed » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:37 pm

I looked at both for quite sometime, the only real difference I could find, was one came with a cork stopper, the other a whistling cap, you may have missed what I eventually bought, as we wanted to boil water, but in larger amounts, the biggest kelly/ghille were 1.5ltrs, which is about 5 cups, we got this which is 4ltrs, and it cost around the same price,

http://youtu.be/YEheWs-g1jU
Dexter's Shed

Postby The Barrowers » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:05 pm

Hello Have a couple of original Kelly Kettles. Robust and do what it says on the tin. Tried using the add n over the top for a frying pan Okay but I prefer a open fire for a full breakfast
Great for boiling water. We keep a faggot up the stove with a lighter for next use so we are up and running without fuss.
B and T
The Barrowers
The Barrowers

Postby Rich » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:20 pm

I've got a Rocket Stove from Stovetec, made for use in developing countries, burns very efficiently and with less wood and smoke. It's really quick to boil.. I also have a 10 litre 'Kelly' type kettle (on the right). This takes longer to boil, but is good for heating water for washing up as well as endless cups of tea at shows and it's got a tap, luxury!

18092010961.jpg

[email protected]
www.swog.org.uk
Rich

Postby jennysmate » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:08 am

Thanks for that. I usualy go to my wood on my own, so the 1 pint ghille kettle looks like the one to go for.
jennysmate

Postby Andy M » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:40 pm

green skills first meeting 074 small.jpg

You will see my initial water heating apparatus in the photo.

The billycan is a coffee container from TKMax, with a loop of wire through a hole drilled in the lid and another loop for a handle - £2
The tripod is from some old bookshelves (diagonal struts to stop them collapsing) - free
Chain found in my garage - free

Fits any fire, height adjustable.

Nota bene - dedicated greenwood workers, with a foot of snow outside the parachute!!
Andy M

Postby SitkaSpruce » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:25 pm

I've got a storm kettle- the smaller size. fine for 2 of us in the wood. had it for years- very robust- take it when we're travelling and camping. when I go to the wood on my own i take a wood gas stove that packs down small with a little pan which it all fits into.
SitkaSpruce

Postby The Barrowers » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:17 pm

Hello To make a three legged tripod for over a fire we used the road post that have a curly pig tail to (there must be a real name) £2 each at hire shops or often discarded at the side of the road as many things are
B and T
The Barrowers
The Barrowers

Postby Dexter's Shed » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:08 pm

The Barrowers wrote:Hello To make a three legged tripod for over a fire we used the road post that have a curly pig tail to (there must be a real name) £2 each at hire shops or often discarded at the side of the road as many things are

you mean like this

Dexter's Shed

Postby SimonFisher » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:13 am

The Barrowers wrote:Hello To make a three legged tripod for over a fire we used the road post that have a curly pig tail to (there must be a real name)...

Fencing pins
SimonFisher

Return to Tools & Equipment - reviews, use and maintenance