Small Woodland Owners' Group

choice of chain and sharpening angles

A place to discuss or review of tools and equipment, how to look after them, handy hints for using them.

choice of chain and sharpening angles

Postby SimonFisher » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:36 pm

The Timberline Chain Sharpener (http://www.timberlinesharpener.com/) sharpens at a 30 degree angle unless you use the accessory angle guides which are supplied separately and provide the ability to sharpen at 25 and 35 degrees.

I use Oregon 22LPX chain on my Stihl MS260 which has a recommended sharpening angle of 25 degrees.

I queried the availability of the additional angle guides for the Timberline with Radmore & Tucker (http://www.radmoretucker.co.uk/) this morning but was advised they don't stock it and it would perhaps be a special import from the USA if I wanted one. They also stated that they've sold around 60 of these so far, many to people who will be using them at 30 degrees on chains that will be specified for 25 degrees.

So, I've a few thoughts/questions. How important is that angle? Are those five degrees enough to make a noticeable difference to the characteristics or handling? Am I likely to notice a difference if I sharpen my Oregon 22LPX to 30 degrees instead of 25? Should it matter, I'm mostly felling oak, beech and ash at the present time.

It also got me wondering how/why you'd choose a particular chain. I didn't really have any input into mine! I ordered the Stihl MS260, asked for a spare chain and got the Oregon 22LPX which seems to do me very well.

What chains do others use?
SimonFisher

Re: choice of chain and sharpening angles

Postby Wendelspanswick » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:10 pm

As I understand it on a crosscutting chain most of the work is done by the point, the bigger the angle (more acute) the sharper the point so it cuts faster but the trade off is that the point is more susceptible to damage and blunting.
0 deg chain for ripping.
25 deg for dirty or abrasive wood.
30 deg is standard.
35 deg for crosscutting debarked clean non abrasive wood.
From memory that is what I was taught.
Wendelspanswick

Re: choice of chain and sharpening angles

Postby oldclaypaws » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:50 pm

I've got the updated version of the 260, the 261. I've been delighted with the Stihl Oilmatic 3 chains which are standard and use a 30 degree angle. As Stihl make chains to suit their saws and they are £16 new on Evilbay, whats to lose? With the standard 30 degree Stihl Chain you know you are using the right chain for the Saw, they are affordable and good quality, and suit the Timberline too. Simples ?
oldclaypaws

Return to Tools & Equipment - reviews, use and maintenance