Small Woodland Owners' Group

boiling water for that all important cuppa

A place to discuss or review of tools and equipment, how to look after them, handy hints for using them.

boiling water for that all important cuppa

Postby Dexter's Shed » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:17 pm

it may not rank high on all woodland owners list's, but on ours, never ending cups of coffee whilst working are a must, but of course, unless you have a dedicated tea/coffee maker delivering the brew to the area your working in, can get unproductive, as 5 minute breaks turn into longer chat times, when were working around the cleared camping area it aint so bad, as we have either the camp fire, or even better the log burner,
so I started looking at "kelly kettles" which are more towards bushcrafters, but would allow us to brew up on site, rather than going back to camp, the downside was the brewing capacity as the biggest I first found were only 1.5ltrs, enough for around 5 cups, then I found this via another forum's link, its basically the same as a kelly kettle, on a much bigger scale, it take 4 ltrs of water,

http://youtu.be/YEheWs-g1jU

it can be picked up and moved with the handles which dont get hot, and even when filled with water is still very stable
Dexter's Shed

Re: boiling water for that all important cuppa

Postby oldclaypaws » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:02 pm

Can you give an Ebay or supplier link and also mention what the other forum was, oh Dread of the Rat Nation. Ta. :D
oldclaypaws

Postby Dexter's Shed » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:52 pm

sure thing paws, think it was you that directed me to the natural bushcraft.co.uk back in the ratcatcher days and the evil bay link is as follows

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121218195507? ... 1423.l2649

funny thing, I ordered mine (they come direct from Turkey) along with another item from around 30 miles up the road from where we live, on the same day, the postage from turkey was free and quoted 4 weeks, the british postage was £15, guess which one got here first :D

Turkey 1 week
Britain 2 weeks, go figure
Dexter's Shed

Postby splodger » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:04 am

we are lazy at our woods - can't be faffed with all the rough camping / great outdoors stuff - we just go i the shed and put the kettle on (we are on mains electric 8-) )
splodger

Postby Andy & Heather » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:36 am

We love our Kelly Kettle, but when the days are short and the icy wind is cutting through you, we found it ate into our precious working time and we often froze whilst making the much needed cuppa. We ended up buying an Andrew James 5 Litre Stainless Steel Pump Action Airpot and keeping it in our cheap pop-up tent that we were using as a shelter from the wind (and hail). It is not as efficient as our thermos so we tended to keep it in the tent rather than in the cold wind. (I have seen someone else who had made an extra insulating layer to wrap round the outside). 5 litres of hot water on tap was pure luxury. We still use the Kelly Kettle when we stop for lunch as tea/cuppa soups are much better made with boiling water. Now we have a shed we are putting in a small caravan gas hob.

An added bonus was during the summer; we filled it with cold water and ice-cubes and had beautiful chilled water all day when we were getting hot and sticky.
Andy & Heather

Postby Dexter's Shed » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:54 pm

it's all a waste now, as I bought a small caravan last week, to use as a tea shed in the wet weather, it just needs a lick of paint (nato green) and towing into the woods, it came complete with gas and a 2 burner hob, although I'm sure it'll get used on occasions when the gas runs out
Dexter's Shed

Return to Tools & Equipment - reviews, use and maintenance