Small Woodland Owners' Group

my experience with Portek Ultra ChainMaster chain sharpener

A place to discuss or review of tools and equipment, how to look after them, handy hints for using them.

Timberline sizes

Postby oldclaypaws » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:29 pm

Er, no Dexter.

You buy one Timberline unit, and just make sure you buy the right carbide sharpener to match the pitch of your saw. In the unlikely (?) event you had 2 saws with 2 different pitches, you buy one Timberline and the 2 different carbide sizes, one for each saw. Spare cutters cost £24 each and they reckon they last 40 sharpenings. Chances are you have 3/16ths aka 4.8mm or .325- covers most medium chains, it says what they are on the chain bar. (In Chinese?)

Timberline say;

One sharpener is compatible with all four carbide sizes.

The carbide size required is determined by the chain pitch which is usually labeled on the chain saw bar near the motor. This number will be .404, 3/8, .325, or 3/8P

Large 7/32″ - 3/8″ pitch chain as well as .404″ pitch chain

Large 13/64″ – also for 3/8″ pitch, but slightly smaller. Recommended on 3/8″ Stihl chain.

Medium 3/16″ – .325″ pitch chain

Small 5/32″ – 3/8″ small Low Profile chain, Picco, and 1/4″ pitch
oldclaypaws

Re: my experience with Portek Ultra ChainMaster chain sharpe

Postby oldclaypaws » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:48 pm

Rakers sharpened twice in 18 months - but how much are you using the saw?

Its not so much how much you're using it, but what you're using it on. I reckon oak or overstood Hazel (which is like Iron) will blunt a saw six times faster than willow or conifers. I've laboured on a bit of oak, moved on to a piece of willow and it goes through it like butter.

Although I've probably only cut c. 10 Tons of timber in 18 months, its all been tough as old boots; Hazel up to a foot thick and oak up to 18 inches. Very little of it is what you'd call 'soft'. My little 50cc Stihl MS261 has coped really well, as has the one original (Stihl) chain I'm still on. Its sharpened with every use, and the secret of easy cutting has to be keeping the chain sharp; can't believe I used to cut firewood with an electric chainsaw and buy a new chain every few months when it got blunt ! Finding you could actually sharpen them easily was a revelation ! Now I've move on to contemplating Tractors & log arches, Woodmizers and 3 Ton winches. Steep learning curve!
oldclaypaws

Postby Dexter's Shed » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:31 pm

considering my imported chain, lasted around 10 months of cutting oak,ash and hazel, before I replaced with a new chain, that only cost £20 for 2, I may as well keep going with my handheld file and new chains,
Dexter's Shed

Postby SimonFisher » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:49 pm

Hey Dexter, if you buy the Timberline sharpener, it'll be worth more than your chainsaw :lol:
SimonFisher

Previous

Return to Tools & Equipment - reviews, use and maintenance