Small Woodland Owners' Group

Chainsaw Training

A place to discuss or review of tools and equipment, how to look after them, handy hints for using them.

Chainsaw Training

Postby Zenith » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:40 am

I'm about to purchase a new chainsaw to replace the knackered McCullough I had to bin last year. That was about 10 years old and had been used for simple garden jobs.

Now I own a woodland I'm going to go for a more powerful one, possibly a Stihl 261. I've got all the safety gear, but I really feel that if I'm going to be using this on a regular basis I could do with some training.

I know most of you are fully experienced in using chainsaws, but wondered if you knew of any good training courses, preferably not too far from the West Midlands. I don't intend to climb trees to do any of this and will mainly be using it for cutting up fallen branches and thinning out the odd sapling, so I feel I only really need a basic introductory course.

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.

Many thanks
Zenith

Re: Chainsaw Training

Postby oldclaypaws » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:46 am

Good choice, mine has been excellent and its a favourite of professionals for lighter to medium jobs, should be just right for you.

Aside from any training, common sense and treating the saw with respect are the most important qualities. Chainsaws are not 'fun'- they are powerful and potentially lethal. It may seem boring to go on about making sure you have a good footing, clearing obstacles and knowing when to leave it to a professional, but it really is important. The only very slight scrapes I've had could have been avoided with a little less haste and more thought- such as not cutting on top of loose stuff which catches and flicks back at you- it would have taken 5 seconds to stop and clear it.
oldclaypaws

Postby SimonFisher » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:27 pm

Zenith wrote:I'm about to purchase a new chainsaw ... Now I own a woodland I'm going to go for a more powerful one, possibly a Stihl 261...

Excellent choice! We bought the model that that replaced, the Stihl MS260, and have been very pleased with it. It's built for professional/heavy use but still small and light enough for the beginner or infrequent user. We bought ours with a 13" bar as that's what we'd used when we did our training but I also run an 18" on mine which is within Stihl's specification, though with an 18" bar on it I do find you need to work a bit more slowly as you're asking a lot more of the engine, especially if cutting something like oak to the full bar depth. A nice machine which should give you many years of reliable service if you don't mistreat it.

Zenith wrote:... I could do with some training. I know most of you are fully experienced in using chainsaws, but wondered if you knew of any good training courses, preferably not too far from the West Midlands. I don't intend to climb trees to do any of this and will mainly be using it for cutting up fallen branches and thinning out the odd sapling, so I feel I only really need a basic introductory course

I can't suggest specific courses or trainers in your locality, but I would recommend you take your training from a qualified trainer rather than from someone who may themselves be competent with a chainsaw but not qualified to train. I can also outline what we did. When we started out in 2007, we found our trainer through Sparshalt College and booked privately with him. We did a day's maintenance and cross-cutting followed by three day's felling including dealing with hung-up trees and using a winch etc. It sounds like you perhaps don't want/need to go that far but there's still a lot to understand if you want to be able to work safely and understand where the dangers are.

I know the Small Woods Association (http://smallwoods.org.uk/) sometimes run courses. Might be worth seeing if they've got anything coming up in your area.
SimonFisher

Postby Zenith » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:18 am

Thanks, Simon. It doesn't look as though they've got anything at the moment, but I'll keep checking back.
Zenith

Postby Judith » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:01 am

Hi Simon,

I'm in the process of updating all the SWOG course information, so if you email me a more precise idea of your location, I'll look through all the lists and try to find something near you.
Cheers,

Judith
([email protected])
Judith

Postby SimonFisher » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:25 am

Hi Judith

It's Zenith that's after the training, not me.

Simon
SimonFisher

Postby Judith » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:37 pm

Oops sorry!

Zenith - email your details and I'll try to find a provider nearby.
Judith

Postby Terry » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:03 pm

a lot of training establishments dotted around the country do the basic chainsaw courses, incl agricultural colleges etc - have a google or look on Arbtalk
Terry

Postby Zenith » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:12 pm

Many thanks, everybody, and my apologies for not replying earlier. I've had problems logging on and have to thank Rich for sorting me out.

But, I'm back now, thank goodness. During the time I've been off line I've been able to get myself some recognised training in a couple of weeks time. I'm really looking forward to it because I want to make sure I can maintain and use a chainsaw correctly. I'll let you know how I get on.
Zenith

Return to Tools & Equipment - reviews, use and maintenance