Small Woodland Owners' Group

making your own tools

A place to discuss or review of tools and equipment, how to look after them, handy hints for using them.

making your own tools

Postby Dexter's Shed » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:26 pm

have just subscribed to this guy on you tube, he has lots of good videos on how to make items that would come in handy for those that wish to do some green wood working
how to make pole lathes etc, this one was interesting, on how to make tools for spoon/bowl carving, I'll be having a go at a homemade forge and tools

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN6pmce ... jNwtLApXBs
Dexter's Shed

Re: making your own tools

Postby Dexter's Shed » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:34 am

so, have made a homemade forge, and using railway track and carriage axle as anvils, once Ive sourced a car spring and few more tools, I'll be giving it a go

http://youtu.be/X4rg0BiY4CA
Dexter's Shed

making your own tools

Postby Bearwood » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:45 am

If you're after making edged tools, old (Sheffield) files make excellent examples. Similarly old hammers lend themselves well to either small hatchets or adzes, although I'm guilty of using brand new ones so that I'm 100% sure I know how to temper them etc.

If you weren't so far away if gladly swap you forging time for beekeeping lessons :/

Here's a link/how-to that my mate produced whilst I forged an adze for him. It's nothing special as it was my second attempt, and I had no swage to form the hollow section over, but the edge was keen (and curved)

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/archiv ... 90581.html
Bearwood

Postby oldclaypaws » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:47 pm

I have what passes as a 'pet blast furnace' at the bottom of the garden and have played at melting glasses and metals for some 30 years as a profession. Did acquire some bronze ingots with a view to trying a bit of casting and like bronze age tools, particularly axes, they have a ritual quality and were highly prized status symbols.

I think its man's tool and language abilities which have got us into our unique dominant species status on the planet, so a bloke who cant make basic tools is like a fish that can't swim, its in our nature to do it.

What I really want to do is make a steam powered efficient road vehicle which runs on logs. Nearly managed last week, but cheated by selling logs and then filling with Diesel, don't think that counts.

People think of pottery as rather effeminate and arty farty, believe me it isn't. Its a cross between pyromania and mud wrestling. Ability to think practically is essential, and although many see me as a thinker and artist, I'm at home building kilns, experimenting with different minerals in the fire (which is like alchemy), and digging holes in the ground. It good getting paid for essentially being a big kid.

Recently sorted my tool shed for the first time in 13 years and was surprised to find 6 sets of Allen keys, 15 pairs of gloves, 8 Stanley knives, 4 tins of WD40, 6 rolls of Duct tape, no partridges in pear trees though.
oldclaypaws

Postby Bearwood » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:26 pm

Kudos on your achievements as a potter. That's a craft I've never tried, but it bends my mind to think about how organic the process must be when you're working clay.

I too have played with melting glass and, to a greater extent, casting metals, but no great works came from either. 'Smithing to me is more about using tools saved from the scrapman and ideas from the grave....Standing at my anvil I can almost feel the history seeping out of its battered face.
Bearwood

Return to Tools & Equipment - reviews, use and maintenance